Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gearbox size

Phizinza

I'm after the size of a normal and tiptronic subaru gearbox. Length is the main messurment I am after.

My brother is thinking about fitting a EJ subie engine into a Fiat X19. Could be hard, but it looks possible. I was thinking about using a EA82 5 speed in there but it appears it would stick out the back of the car about 10"s :-/

Also how hard would it be to convert one of these trans into just front wheel drive, as the Fiat X1/9 is a mid engine car it needs a front wheel drive set up to drive the rear wheels. Anyhow, know what I'm on about?? Thanks

There is such a thing as a 2wd legacy, and impreza, some EJ20 and a number of EJ18s had them. The 2wd box is considerably shorter than the 4wd. The clutch setup is the same 2wd or 4wd, although the turbo/no turbo arrangement is different.

Saker originally used the 2wd box in their production vehicles, behind a modified ej20 turbo producing 450ish hp. The relibility factor went rapidly out the window at higher power levels and using slick tyres. They now use a WRX box as a 2wd, with the 4wd capped off.

http://www.saker.co.nz/gallery.php?image=sprint_open.jpg&blurb=Saker%20Sprint%20open

pic is a bit vague, but shows something of the mid mounted ej20 layout, and rear overhang.

EDIT: this applies to manual boxes.... the autos in the legacies are just as big 2wd as 4wd, and cannot be shortened, at least the ones ive seen which is pre 1994.

Yeah. I've wanted one of those sakers, only the SV1 version, since I saw them back in 2001. Sweet machines and there kinda cheap. $23,000AUD gets you a WRX in there setup. Anyway. I'll have to take some more messurments. I'll look into the 2WD version of the gearbox. Might just work. We saw a Alfa 33 today with a flat four. The running gear is designed by Subaru I've heard, The 2WD version we saw had a pretty short box. It might just work. I still think he should use a Subie motor, more power and easy ready for turboing. Thanks for the input, I forgot about the 2WD boxes!