Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 > SPFI conversion. Disty gear how to???

I have heard you can do the disty gear swap with the help of a die grinder??? I have my 2 distys (EA82, EA81) with gears off. Now what the hell do I do? One gear is tall (EA82) that the other is short (EA81). Here is a pic. If someone could maybe fill in the picture with how to mod the disty for me. You can do it in paint. :brow: I will start by labeling what I think I know about the swap. I could try to do it on my own I guess, but help would be sooo much better. I have also read that you can take it to a machine shop to get it done. I'd rather do it myself if it is possible.

What do I need to grind or drill and what not to get this working???

post-11185-136027602277_thumb.jpg

Guest shadow

You have to use the EA81 gear because of the difference in the gear drive, the helical mesh is different and the ratio was obviolsuly different, one being crank driven and one being cam driven. you need to drill the ea82 shaft for the roll pin to mount the ea81 gear at the proper height and rotational reference. Great care must be taken in rotational positioning so that you can get the proper range of timing adjustment - from previous reports from rguyver just droping the roll pin hole down the proper distance but in the same plane is not enough, you end up being around a 'half tooth' off all the time in terms of timing adjustment possibilities. This can be compensated by modifying the adjustment slot perhaps, but only so much adjustment can me gained in this area. The prefered method is to adjust the roll pin hole to the right or left as necesary to acheive the correct range.