Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought my first Subaru. 2001 Outback Wagon Ltd. So far, I love it.

I have one question though. It seems that the brakes are a little too squeshy. There is a little to much travel in the brake pedal for my taste. Had dealer replace Master cylinder, which seems to have helped. I've checked the pads, which seem to have some wear left on them. Will a thorough bleeding help? I've done a prety good check of the booster, and it seems fine.

Any thought/hints will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Also found FULL manual on ebay for $20 (for those interested).

Depends on what you mean by squishy. Yes, if the brakes aren't bled to get ALL the air out, then the brakes will feel squishy and you'll have a hard time stopping in a short distance. You should try pumping the brakes. If the newer cars are the same as my 96, then it has a brake booster, and it should firm up on the second pump. But, you shouldn't be having any of these problems if you just had the master cylinder replaced. I would take it back to your mechanic and tell him to bleed your brakes more thoroughly. (I just had to replace a siezed rear brake caliper on my suby, so I know what it's like to have squishy brakes)