Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ADVICE Please ... 94 Legacy for $2700

New to forum, first post, need advice please :)

A DUI drunkard totaled my vehicle on Saturday ... thank god no one was injured. I settled with my insurance company, and after paying my remaining debt, I have a few thousand to play with.

I'm looking at a 94 Legacy Wagon Ti AWD this evening for $2700, 190K miles(http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/84359332.html). Ad says it's clean and in great running condition. Price looks reasonable compared to Blue Book. I talked with the owner, and he knows his vehicle ... not a gaper.

The skinny:

front axle replace a couple years back

original clutch, clutch cable adjusted regularly and everything still functioning well. Don't know about wear.

tires good

brakes good

Everything functions

Owner mentioned that the suspension for the Ti uses "air ride" shocks, which, if they need to be replaced costs about $1000.

Any input on this year/model and the issues above? In your experience, would the clutch and shocks need to be replaced soon, and if so how much??

Thanks,

B

Most people typically rip out the air suspension and put regular struts & springs. If it comes to needing to replace the suspension, I'd highly recommend that route, compared to repairing the air suspension. $1000 is a little on the light side for the air suspension in my opinion. I'd say you could probably replace the air suspension with springs & struts for 500 or so for parts. There are other subaru model springs that will work, so you can usually find used stuff for cheap that will work.

Clutch....I guess it's your standard job...about 4-5 hours or so. So probably around 400-500 bucks. to have a shop do it. Just a guess.