Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a 94 Legacy Sunsport a good car?

I have an opportunity to buy, or trade a mountain bike for a 94 legacy sunsport. I think it could be fine to use for parts for my on going Justy Project, but I know nothing about the car or the package. do I want to keep it for goofing around in, part it out, or just let someone else take it?

one thing i would like to do is replace the four lug system from the rx on my justy, and use a five lug like on the legacy. I have a dual range tranny I mated to an 1.8l impreza engine. Will the legacy axles fit the dual range tranny? That by itself would make getting the car worth it. Could I co-mingle the CV joints to build a hybrid axle to do the job?

It really comes down to the front end, because I could just drop in the whole Legacy rear-end. Of course I do have the limited slip rear end from the RX. Maybe I need to consider just using the Legacy hubs with the RX axles all the way around. Does that Work?

Considering the damn justy is still in colorado, I sure am spending a lot of time on it.

Any help would be appreciated. I dont know how big a window I have on the deal, so I may need to move quickly.

I went to see the car. As it turns out, the body is in very good shape, and the interior is not too bad either. BUT The engine only runs on 3 cylinders. the guy at the shop said it was a "head" problem to the girl.

The car runs very quiet still, just rough. no knocking or anything. you can hear the miss in the exaust note.

I wonder if it is just spark or maybe an injector. I can probably get it for a song. she just wants rid of it.

My question is does anyone have any experience with this type of problem, Is the shop guy right or full of ish.

can I just put in a new plug or wires and have it tearing down the road smoothly again?

thanks for any insight.

troy

A bad injector or wire would be nice. I'd test compression and spark and go from there.

For specs on the Sun Sport, Joe Spitz has it on the bottom of this page: http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive.html

Pics of this car would be cool as it's a very rare model. I've seen Ti's and Alpine Sports but I don't think I've seen a Sun Sport.

Oh and I hope you keep going on Leroy Brown!!!

If the body and that stuff is in good condition, as mentioned, it would be a good buy. The engine problem could be easy to fix, but even if it isn't, dropping in a rebuilt one - or DIY rebuild - would be worth it.

Run it for a while and sell at a profit :-)