Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hissing from AC compressor

Guest calebz

Guest calebz

today, the AC stopped blowing cold. when I shut the car off and looked under the hood, I could hear a hiss coming from the compressor. I listened around all the fittings and heard nothing. can only hear it at the front of the compressor around the pulley.. compressor taking a crap?.. anyone got a spare?

also, r134a conversion was recently done. does that involve mods to the compressor, or can I just replace it with a plain old r12 compressor?

does anyone know the OEM part number for the compressor.. I believe its the Panasonic one.

Guest x silvershad0w x

Wow, A/C is coming up a lot lately. I know when they do a proper r134a conversion they have to change some seals, because old ones will leak or whatnot. There is a seal in the front of the compressor they may have changed (or forgot to), at this point I would contact the place that did the conversion, and see what they say. The guy around here that does mine fixes a problem for free if he converted it (for me anyways) and also recharges them every year free of charge! Worth looking into, plus they will know exactly what was done during your specific conversion.

Guest calebz

Thanks john,

But the place that did it is in washington, and I'm in TX nowprobably not worth it to take it back for repairs.. its been a couple of months since the repairs, and everything was ok until yesterday.