Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy transmission problem

I have a good, sturdy, 1993 legacy sedan. The transmisison fluid cooler hose, that goes through the radiator burst open yesterday. We have replaced the hose and carefully filled tranny fluid, but the tranny is not engaging properly. It reminds me of how it feels to drive a standard while the clutch is wearing out. Lots of lag. Too much. The rpm's go up too far, the speed doesn't increase proportionately.

Other than replace the hose, what else should we consider, is there some trick to adding the fluid that we don't know (other than getting it in that goddamn small hole)?

thanks so much

Stupid question from a simple person: You DO know to check the fluid level with the engine running and after it has been shifted through each gear, right? And you did add the ATF to the tranny and not the differential, right??? (Ok, that was 2 questions... I said that I was simple. :-p )

Stupid question from a simple person: You DO know to check the fluid level with the engine running and after it has been shifted through each gear, right? And you did add the ATF to the tranny and not the differential, right??? (Ok, that was 2 questions... I said that I was simple. :-p )

yes, fluid level checked properly, yes added to tranny. (I believe adding the tranny fluid into that absurdely small thing the tranny dipstick is in, is the right place, correct?)

I was wondering about bleeding the transmission fluid somehow, because it is a hydraulic system. Is there a standard way to do this? like brakes somehow?