Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 RX compression test results

so in an attempt to figure out what the hell is wrong with my Rex, I ended up testing the cylinders.

#1-3 were all bang on 180psi

#4 however could only push it up to 60psi

Basically my problem is that when I get into boost, or any sort of "power driving", car starts BELCHING blue (oil) smoke... like it's a smoke-screen, and follows me down the road. I get a power loss as well.

I've always thought it was me wrecking the turbo (I have two VF7's at this point), but yesterday I installed a fully rebuilt unit and it still didn't solve the problem. I did some searching on here and found others who had same issue but were accusing rings instead. The one poster did a compression test & came up with 2 good cylinders (both in same bank) and 2 duff ones (60psi IIRC. #1+3) So that was the point of my test this evening, but it's strange I have such an intense problem with 3 good cylinders.

Anyhow, if anyone reads this and wants to share their 2¢ I'd more then appreciate it. I'm *almost* at wits end trying to fix this silly engine. I'll plunk away at it agian tomorrow, but I really need this car to run so's it can take me to Northern Canada.