Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sound system?

This may not be the right place to ask but you guys seem to know every thing! So i have two of these subs.

SUBS X2

----------------------------

OCTANE-R 12

• 12 inch 4 ohm subwoofer

• Sensitivity: 91dB (1W/1M)

Single Voice Coil

250/500W (RMS/PEAK)

and there are two of these remeber.

and the amp i am looking at getting is this

AMP

----------------------------

Concept CA-525M

Description:

* RMS Power 300W x 1 @ 4 Ohm MONO

* RMS Power 525W x 1 @ 2 Ohm MONO

* Signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB

* Frequency Response: 5Hz - 350kHz

* Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%

* Continuously variable 0 - 18dB BASS boost

* Built-in continuously variable 18dB per octave crossover

* Remote bass level control "port"

(remote RM-100 available separately)

* Input sensitivity: 200mV - 4V

* Backlit CONCEPT logo

* Platinum connectors

* Size: length x width x height: 300mm x 296mm x 60mm

* 11.82" x 11.66" x 2.37"

Will it work with out any damamage to each other? I would ask my local car stereo store, but they seem to be people hired off the street.

Its difficult to answer your questions because it all depends on the quality of the components being used and how you use them. I do some work at a local stereo shop and I keep a small 30 watt Coustic amp around to demonstrate with. Many people believe that a 500 watt amp will eat a 250 watt subwoofer. While this is a legitimate concern, it isn't as big a deal as most people believe. The key is keeping your power clean up to a point just beyond your normal listening level.

The demonstration I do is I wire up my 30 watt amp to a sub that lists a power rating in the 3-500 watt range and proceed to blow it up. How? Simple...drive the amp into clipping and wait a few seconds for the voice coil to come apart. The other side of that coin is the setup I have in my car.

I have an 800 watt amp on a 300 watt sub. Is that a problem? No. The way my system is tuned, that amp will never produce all 800 of those watts. Its loud enough to make your ears bleed, but my amps will never clip, so my speakers will survive quite a bit of abuse.

The problem you run into at high volume levels is heat. Build up enough heat in the voice coil of your speaker and it will come apart. Mostly, that's kinda hard in the confines of a car because the resulting noise is so loud that it becomes uncomfortable and most people turn it down long before heat becomes an issue.

So I guess the short answer is "Be nice to it and you shouldn't have a problem".