Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips on Gas Tank Drainage?

I am now going to have to drain my gas tank I believe, because I was out wheeling today and the Brat "ran out of gas" after syphoning some out of a buddies car, and getting the Brat to a station, I "filled" the car only to put 4.7 gallons in. The car had been sitting for a while so maybe the lines all gunked up. What is the best way to drain the tank, and what should I use to catch the gas? Thanks.

i usually just take the complete tank right out, go over to the back of my yard, or the neighbors yard:lol: and let it drain for a while, the with carb cleaner, and an air gun, let the cleaner sit for 10 mins, and blow through the hoses, also change the fuel filters and such.once the tank is done draing, throw some fresh gas in and shake it around a little, then dump that, reassemble everything, and it should be fine.:) you could also drain the tank without taking it out, or at least i did on a vw, just get one of those syphoning kits and hook it right to the fuel line that attatches to the carb, and let it run into a couple pepsi bottles or something.

It's a straight shot into the tank... just use a siphon hose like in the old days. Catch it in a vented gas can.

We had to drain mine when we thought there was a leak. If you're taking the tank out, it's a pain... most everything in the back has to be dropped out of the way.

We cleaned out the tank and found that it was a $.69 piece of rubber tubing that vents out the top of the tank (that you can't see while it's in the car) and runs under the body to the passenger wheel well.