Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to allign flywheel on an automatic

Im in the middle of a head gasket job on my new sube. I pulled the main hose coming off the top of the valves, the one that meats with the other hose from the other hose from the other valves, it is the only one from the valves and is thicker than most of the hoses. And it was filled with brown clay like stuff. It was only filled on the side that the head gasket is blown, it is probably related to the blown head gasket but im wondering if there is anything i should do because of this.

Also on the timing belts, should I just mark them where they were and take them off? Or is there a better way, my manual is not clear to me how to do this. Thanks

The hoses you're talking about are the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hoses. They take vaporized oil and other gases such as blow-by from the crankcase and introduce them into the intake so they can be burned. The reason you have the brown sludge is that oil and water do mix, contrary to what you've been told, but it doesn't look pretty. You might want to check your PCV valve to make sure the sludge hasn't blocked it. It's at the center of the manifold behind the carb or throttle body. Take it out and shake it. If it rattles, it's fine. If not, you can try cleaning it out with carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner, or just buy a new one.

As for the timing belts, I would recommend you not just mark them and install them the way they were. You can find the correct procedure in a Haynes or Chilton's, or you can search the board. I'm sure there are a number of articles here.

I am looking at my haynes right now, it is only for a manual and says to align the marks on the flywheel to the bell housing. I can not do that with an automatic so I am stuck. Im workin on a 1990 loyale ea82T. I assume there is a way to do this with an auto, i wish it was a stick, but the deal was to good to be picky. Its probably in the manual somewhere, but I havent found it yet. Also on my Turbo that one bolt on the exhaust to turbo intake that is jammed in a position where only a wrench can get at is giving me a hrad time. Any suggestions on how to free it up. I am using some bolt loosener, but I just dont have enough room to get leverage. Thanks yall

the flexplate that your automatic has does have the three timing marks on it. Just crank the engine over slowly by hand and you'll see them in the little window on top of the bellhousing.

I can't offer much help for the bolt on the turbo... I had a similar one that caused me grief... Once I got the bolt out, the exhaust off, etc, I replaced that stud with a new one, and haven't had nearly as much trouble since :/

for the timing belts, just take them off. If you're doing the HGs you'll end up moving almost everything that keeps it in time. Trying to keep everything in the same place is going to be PITA. Just do a search for the timing belt procedure when you go to put it all back together. May want to get some new belts/tensioners while you're in there, unless you know they're fairly new.

good luck,