Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

A/F questions.. Skip?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_calebz_*

Guest_calebz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:11 AM

Could someone explain the function of the EGR system and its effects on A/F mixture for my 87 turboWagon?

Same question for the o2 sensor..

Please also explain the negative side effects of malfunctioning/disconnected units(egr and O2)

If the egr solenoid was disconnected on my turbowagon, shouldn't there be an error code flashing?

I know these questions sound kinda dumb.. but humor me please

thanks

#2 Guest_Cougar4_*

Guest_Cougar4_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:36 PM

Here is a site you can go to find out more info:

autorepair.about.com/libr...ef-165.htm

Glen

#3 Guest_calebz_*

Guest_calebz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info.

bump.. still have q's on the O2 sensor..

#4 Guest_wjmgl10_*

Guest_wjmgl10_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 10:22 PM

o2 senses o2 in the ex. mixture. i dont remember the numbers here, but some ammount of o2 means lean, and some other amounts mean rich. The ECU adjusts the injector pulses accordingly.

does that answer the Q(s) you have?

#5 Guest_turboroo_*

Guest_turboroo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:56 PM

this was a topic a while back but heres my input on it again. egr reduces combustion temps. I would leave it hooked up and not mess with subarus enginering it can under a worst case situation lead to engine failure. just the risk of that is enough to keep me from messing with it. as for 02 operation there is a .5v reference voltage on the signal wire generated by the ecu. the o2 will generate a signal that will override the referance voltage. it varys from about .1 to .9v. higher voltage is an indicator of a rich mixture or low o2 content in the exhaust. subarus seem to do halfway decent without it hooked up but once again it is there for a reason. it will make the cat last much longer and run cleaner and better gas mileage.

#6 Guest_calebz_*

Guest_calebz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:03 AM

Hmm.. was hoping there might be some magic solution for my lean troubles buried here somewhere...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users