Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

i want dual range 4wd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mickeykreg

mickeykreg

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ogden

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

I have a 90 Loyale w/5 speed 4wd and would like to retrofit a dual range 5 speed transaxle out of an 88 GL. I'm thinking of getting everything, including the trans, linkages, console, shift levers, bell housing bolts, dirt, etc. from the same donor car that is complete.

Since the body styles are the same it seems pretty straight forward but I'd be interested in hearing from somebody that has done this.

Is rear drive line modification needed? Front CV axles the same? Are mounting systems including cross members, bell housing, clutch stuff, etc. the same? How about exhaust?

The 32mpg at 75 mph is really cool and it makes me nervous to mess with anything but when the trans does finally go I'd like to do this project. Any thoughts would be very welcome

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

It's been a while since I did this swap, but as I remember there wasn't much more to it than the shifter for the d/r.

#3 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

All your going to need is the tranny and the shifter assembly (pulled with the tranny is pretty easy). Not much to that swap. Take out old tranny, put in new one.

#4 -mountain-goat-

-mountain-goat-

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Newland

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:33 PM

Wow, thats funny. I have a 90 loyale and I am in the process of using a 88 GL D/R tranny also, so far it looks as though it is that easy. Everything seems to be the same. Although I dont have it in yet, so I will let you know how things go.

~Russ

#5 AlpineRaven

AlpineRaven

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Australia

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:07 PM

I have a 90 Loyale w/5 speed 4wd and would like to retrofit a dual range 5 speed transaxle out of an 88 GL. I'm thinking of getting everything, including the trans, linkages, console, shift levers, bell housing bolts, dirt, etc. from the same donor car that is complete.

Since the body styles are the same it seems pretty straight forward but I'd be interested in hearing from somebody that has done this.

Is rear drive line modification needed? Front CV axles the same? Are mounting systems including cross members, bell housing, clutch stuff, etc. the same? How about exhaust?

The 32mpg at 75 mph is really cool and it makes me nervous to mess with anything but when the trans does finally go I'd like to do this project. Any thoughts would be very welcome

From what I know,
nah not much mods (body) unless you're changing from automatic to manual then there will be mods at the shifter area.. if its manual FWD - 4WD then you have no worries. The bolt holes are already there ready to go to be installed with rear diff.

Before going ahead.. check the fuel tank if there is a inverted hump in the middle then you have no problems fitting rear diff. If it doesn't then you have to change the fuel tank over from 4WD model.

That goes for sedan and wagons.
I think there is a FAQ on this somewhere.
Cheers
AP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users