Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor Question?????

Guest vodoo

Guest PHATBRAT

Yep, It is actually a good modification. The advance curve is sooner in the 2wd disty. After install make sure to advance your timing a bit. Boz

Guest OH Noah

If your car is '82 or newer, then you must use an '82 or newer distributor. If you can find a 4wd one (Hitachi), I'd stick with that because the 2wd ones (Nippondenso) go bad much more easily. They are totally swappable though.

Oh Noah is correct if it is older it may have

a points disty?

an electronic with an external ignition box

As for the 2 wd models having a better curve please see

pub110.ezboard.com/fultim...8072.topic

If newer than 82

The Hiachi (4wd model) is more easily repaired and has a vacuum advance which is available, the Nippondenso (2wd) does not.

Boz, is it possible the timing advance you gave yours when swapping caused the increase you spoke of?

I have both dist. have used both in a 86 Brat with same basic timing (10 deg BTDC) noticed no SoP* difference.

Maybe it's just me.

* Seat of Pants.

Guest GeneralDisorder

You don't need to buy another disty - you can have it rebuilt for about $35. Probably needs a new shaft bushing. As to the vacuum advance being "only" availible for the hitchi, well, doesn't matter cause you can rebuild the vac advance units too. Cost is about $25. I use these guys:

<a href="http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/special_services.htm" target="top">http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/special_services.htm</a>

GD

Guest PHATBRAT

Well Skip, It could very possibly be that but when I first installed the disty I had the timing set the same as the one I pulled out. The new one caused my car to ping. Something has to be different. When I advanced it it ran like a raped ape. I believe it does do something. Besides, why would that guy write something up like that? *Not saying that I do not believe you because I do, however, I am just speaking on a past experience. Could it just be me?:rolleyes:

Guest exister99

I am posting here rather than start a new topic.

I pulled the Hitachi distributor from my `84 GL Wagon. The packing between the cap and body has crumbled, the shaft has about 1mm of play in it and the vacuum adavance unit is shot.

Does anyone know if cap and rotor kits have packing in them?

I am thinking about buying a reman for $154, anyone have a better idea?

exister99@velocitus.net