Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Distributor Question?????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vodoo_*

Guest_vodoo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:58 AM

I have a 4x4 1.8 EA81 engine, but my distributor has gone bad. Will a 2x4 distributor fit in my engine.

#2 Guest_PHATBRAT_*

Guest_PHATBRAT_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:18 AM

Yep, It is actually a good modification. The advance curve is sooner in the 2wd disty. After install make sure to advance your timing a bit. Boz

#3 Guest_OH Noah_*

Guest_OH Noah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:50 AM

If your car is '82 or newer, then you must use an '82 or newer distributor. If you can find a 4wd one (Hitachi), I'd stick with that because the 2wd ones (Nippondenso) go bad much more easily. They are totally swappable though.

#4 Guest_Skip_*

Guest_Skip_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:59 AM

Oh Noah is correct if it is older it may have
a points disty?
an electronic with an external ignition box

As for the 2 wd models having a better curve please see
pub110.ezboard.com/fultim...8072.topic
If newer than 82
The Hiachi (4wd model) is more easily repaired and has a vacuum advance which is available, the Nippondenso (2wd) does not.

Boz, is it possible the timing advance you gave yours when swapping caused the increase you spoke of?
I have both dist. have used both in a 86 Brat with same basic timing (10 deg BTDC) noticed no SoP* difference.
Maybe it's just me.

* Seat of Pants.

#5 Guest_GeneralDisorder_*

Guest_GeneralDisorder_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:08 PM

You don't need to buy another disty - you can have it rebuilt for about $35. Probably needs a new shaft bushing. As to the vacuum advance being "only" availible for the hitchi, well, doesn't matter cause you can rebuild the vac advance units too. Cost is about $25. I use these guys:

<a href="http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/special_services.htm" target="top">www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/special_services.htm</a>

GD

#6 Guest_vodoo_*

Guest_vodoo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:12 PM

I have just taken it almost all apart. But how do you get the Pinion out so I can pull the shaft??????

#7 Guest_PHATBRAT_*

Guest_PHATBRAT_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:38 PM

Well Skip, It could very possibly be that but when I first installed the disty I had the timing set the same as the one I pulled out. The new one caused my car to ping. Something has to be different. When I advanced it it ran like a raped ape. I believe it does do something. Besides, why would that guy write something up like that? *Not saying that I do not believe you because I do, however, I am just speaking on a past experience. Could it just be me?:rolleyes:

#8 Guest_exister99_*

Guest_exister99_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:27 AM

I am posting here rather than start a new topic.

I pulled the Hitachi distributor from my `84 GL Wagon. The packing between the cap and body has crumbled, the shaft has about 1mm of play in it and the vacuum adavance unit is shot.

Does anyone know if cap and rotor kits have packing in them?

I am thinking about buying a reman for $154, anyone have a better idea?

exister99@velocitus.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users