Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Turbo vs non-turbo axles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hondasucks_*

Guest_Hondasucks_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:26 PM

Ok what years were the Turbo axles bigger than the non-turbo, and was it only on the manual trannies, or was it on the automatics as well?

#2 Guest_GlCraigGT_*

Guest_GlCraigGT_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:49 PM

I'm 99.9% sure that turbo axles were bigger then the other axles for all years of ea82. Both manual and automatic got them.

if you are trying to tell ea82 axles apart look at the shaft on the CV end. You should see what looks like a bump where shaft diameter gets a little bigger then back to normal. If there is 1 bump it's a 2wd axle, 2 bumps for 4wd and 3 bumps for turbo. Note this only aplies to OEM axles, with aftermarket axles; you never know.

#3 Guest_Hondasucks_*

Guest_Hondasucks_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:53 PM

I looked the parts up on The Parts Bin, and it showed a part number for 1986 Automatic Turbo 4WD axles, but it said "call for availability" for 1986 Manual Turbo 4WD front axles.

#4 Guest_GlCraigGT_*

Guest_GlCraigGT_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:07 AM

you might want to call a dealer in the morning and confirm. At the subaru shop i worked at, when we sorted used axles in our parts warehouse, we only did it by 2wd, 4wd and turbo. it didn't matter what transmission they came off of nor did it matter when we put them on cars.

#5 Guest_Hondasucks_*

Guest_Hondasucks_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:45 AM

dangit.. IF that is the case, do you kow if the axle stubs are interchangeable? I know the rear ones unbolt...

#6 Guest_GlCraigGT_*

Guest_GlCraigGT_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:03 AM

I can't remember. It's been 6 years since i worked there. The only thing i remember about the stub axles is that they are held in using a snap ring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users