Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Subaru U-Joints

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Snowman_*

Guest_Snowman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 01:55 PM

It sounds like I need to replace at least one U-joint on my driveshaft. Is this an easy job to do? Can the joints be replaced, or does the whole shaft need to be replaced?

#2 Guest_chef tim_*

Guest_chef tim_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 02:50 PM

By design, the whole shaft is made to be replaced. However, if you know of a good drive line shop they should be able to put in removable ones. Tim

#3 Guest_Frank B_*

Guest_Frank B_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:28 PM

They are tack welded in place. A good driveline/4x4 shop can replace them and balance the shaft a hell of a lot chaeper than buying an entire driveshaft! If they allow you to, bring the u-joints, it may be cheaper. If my memory serves me right, NAPA(Precision) u-joint #812 is the one, and its greasable!!!!

#4 Guest_oobnuker_*

Guest_oobnuker_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 05:57 PM

On a similar note: Are the driveshafts the same for Auto vs. Manual? I have an '89 Fulltime 4WD GL Wagon 4EAT that's almost completely dismantled. I'm wondering if the driveshafts will be useable on my '90 Push-Button 4WD Loyale Wagon 5Speed.

#5 Guest_chef tim_*

Guest_chef tim_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:41 PM

I know that between the 3spd AT and a 5spd manual they are the same. I would "rump roast-u-me" that they would still be the same for the 4AT. Tim

#6 Guest_Hondasucks_*

Guest_Hondasucks_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 10:52 PM

Yeah, I know on a Chevy for example, that teh drive shaft for a 700R4 (4 speed) is shorter than the one for a Th350 (3 speed) since teh case is longer, *but* those transmissions use a Simpson gear set for the 3 forward gears, (actually, 2 sets.. Both used in 1st, one in second, 3rd is 1:1) and have an additional planetary set for overdrive, but the Subaru uses a Ravigneux gear set, which allows for 4 gears in a smaller space. and since the 3 speeds are also Ravigneaux, I'd assume that both trannies would be the same length.

Annother interesting thing that I discovered, is that (apperently ) the Subaru automatic, uses a Jatco valve body, because the valve body in mine is stamped "3N71B" which is the Jatco 3 speed used in, among other things, Nissan pickups. Sooo, if the valve bodies are the same, it's theroetically possible there might be a shift kit out there for a Subaru! :-P Might only be a stage one MAYBE a stage 2, but would still be cool ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users