Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any former watercooled vw mechanics?

Guest taprackready

Guest taprackready

I'm needing a little help finishing my Daughters car. Its a 81 VW rabbit. I changed out the bad 1.7 for a 1.8 engine. Its all buttoned up and tries to start but can't quite do it. I pulled the plugs and they are all black and sooty. I'm using the original coil and am wondering if its weak. All the timing marks are lined up. I check them a dozen times. How do you check the strenght of a coil?

Bill

As long as you can throw a nice, blue spark about a quarter inch in length, you can consider the ignition ok. Sure you have the plug wires in the right order? If you are fouling the plugs trying to start it, I assume it is getting gas. My bet would be ignition related some way.

I think you need to determine decisively that there is sufficient spark and that the plugs are in the right order AND you have the ignition timing somewhere in the ballpark.

Guest taprackready

I did check the firing order several times. I didn't check the spark. I did check the injectors. They send out a nice fine mist like they always have in the past. I think you right about it being ignition. Either I goofed up on the firing order and timing marks or the plugs/coil are weak.

Bill