Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'81 Brat CV Boot replacement.....

Alright, I'm not too great on all the correct terminology but I'll try.

The story is sort of as follows.....

On Thursday I noticed grease all around the inside of the wheel arch (right front), Sure enough, a small split and grease flying everywhere.

Friday afternoon I asked at the local Subaru parts agent how difficult it would be to do myself and how I would sorta go about it. I buy one replacement boot kit.

I thought Id make a start on it this afternoon with the help of my haynes manual.

So I've taken the bottom balljoint off the swingarm/strut, taken the steering ball joint off, Slid the boot up the axel out of the way for the moment, taken the nut on the outer side of the hub(I'm guessing it holds the stub axel in place), might have taken a few other things off to move round a bit easier, nothing to mad though.

Around here the Haynes manual tells me that axel boot replacements aren't condoned by Subaru and to take it to the dealer....Nice....

The dude in the garage told me that by taking the bottom balljoint off and the nut on the end of the axel, the axel pulls out of the stub axel/hub thing and I could change the boot this way, without having to remove the whole axel..

Anyway, The current situation is this: How do I get the axel out of the joint to take off the old boot and put another one?

Its an EA-81 1981 Brat Front right outer CV Boot.

SOrry if this doesn't make much sence and is long but I and my dad are both a bit stumped as to how it comes to bits...

JOHn

John,

The part you are missing is driving out the pin that holds the inner cv joint

to the stub coming out of the transaxle.

This inner joint is properly called the DOJ or Double Offset Joint.

The DOJ is then pulled off the transaxle stub shaft by

swinging the entire hub assm. away from the tranny.

The DOJ is then dis-assembled by removing a snap ring on the inside edge.

(Keep the balls in their respective positions)

Another snap ring is then removed and the DOJ boot removed.

Then, after removing the torn boot ,

the new CV boot is slid down the axle.

Obviously one would want to clean up the axle before doing this.

You will no doubt need new securing bands for the joints

Please note/mark the position the DOJ is on the stub when you remove it as it only goes on one way.

Hope this helps