Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I currently own a 1999 Outback, with 90,000 miles, in really great shape. The issue is that the 6.5 inch speakers on the driver's side of the car have blown, both in the front door and in the back door. I was contemplating having new speakers installed. The speakers on the passenger side of the car still work fine, so was thinking about having the new 6.5 inch speakers installed in the rear doors and moving the original passenger side speakers to the front doors. The logic is that the older speakers will act as more of a set of "tweeters" with less bass running to them (less chance of blowing) while the new set in the rear doors will handle the majority of the bass (as they are newer and less likely to blow). Think of it as having the audio slightly moved toward the rear. Or should I just get 4 new speakers for both the front and back set?

I will pose this question to you. When you go to a concert, do you face the music or do you turn and face the other way? You face the music. So why would you want to have the music behind you in your car?

Rear speakers for all intents and purposes on pro type systems are nothing but rear fill. They are capped so the frequency range they reproduce is not too high or too low (band pass). That's how I've got mine setup.

If you just want to stay with the stock deck, no amps, and other stuff, I would recommend you get new speakers to replace all four speakers. Also, if you want more bass, get a dedicated subwoofer.