Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone try using the E-Machine shop yet?

Guest c150L

Guest c150L

This last week, I downloaded the emachineshop software and then drew up a shaft I need at work. The drawing process may be a bit harder that I expected from their description of the process, but once I got used to it, it is not that bad. The "rendered" 3D view is really nice, as the keyways I had drawn would have wound up being an intgral key rather than a keyway slot as intended . What a difference there is between 0.125" and -0.125". Anyway, I draw up this shaft then go to the pricing option, but had not yet seleced the material to be used. I go to the material and find out that of all the material available, none of it is over 4" thick. So I start over and draw the shaft from the side so it should only wind up 1.125" high. Guess that can not be done either. Come to find out, they do not support turning as of yet. It would appear they can not make a shaft 9" long and 1.125" in dia with the 2 smaller steps I wanted turned in. I guess the shaft idea is a bust.

Next, I draw a small rectangular plate that they should be able to make on their CNC milling machine. This is to made from brass. Late Wed, I got that drawn up and when I ran the pricing, there was a message that the material I selected (brass, even though it is thick enough) is not supported on that machine. Not sure why, but I may assume that their 3D mill CNC machine may use a magnetic base to hold the material. It appears it will let me submit the part, so when I get back after vaction, I will submit it and see what they have to say.

I'm sure there is something they can make, but just my luck, not the first 2 parts I drew up. The free design software is well worth checking out. (about a 3.8mb download) Depending on the time frame requirement that you choose, the parts may be made overseas. If you want it in short order, they must have the work done in the states. Short lead time/made in the states >$$. Take your time/made who know where, <$$. Only makes sense, I guess. Looks like this service may still in its early stages and they appear to be agressively adding features to their processes and software, so it should be something to keep an eye on. I really like to hear from anyone that has had success with thier services and how the parts have come out.

<a href="http://www.emachineshop.com" target="top">the E-machine shop</a>