Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I've been out of Sube' land for about 5 years now. ya ya I know, I just had to try other things out... I've owned a 90 legacy of which went 273,000 miles...And times it had to go to the dealer I could count on one hand! I then bought a 98 legacy gt and when told by the dealer that the excess engine clatter was designed in, lets just say it was sold within 6 months...So dissapointedly I went to Nissan then Honda, then I picked up a 328is BMW. All this trying out because of the reliability records of the cars. My 328 now has 100K miles on it with hardly a problem, but is it safe to jump back into a Sube? whats with this clutch/ tranny GM thing going on? Has anyone an opionion on the RS vs a WRX? And what about this Sti???? anyone?

thanks from the land of BMW.....at least for now...

Welcome to the board, kutch!

I have a friend who owns a bimmer, I believe also a 328is. He is very much into tuning it up, though he lacks the green to do it. So far the most he has done to it are strut braces and a cold air intake. Anyway, back to the sube question. I don't know anything about the GM/Sub tranny thing, maybe someone else does. I have a 91 Legacy 5spd, and the transmission is great for it's age. it's close to 205k miles now, and still runs well. As far as RS vs. WRX, it depends on what body style you like. If you like the 1st gen Impreza body style, I would go with an RS. Keep in mind it's N/A, not turbo. If you don't mind the 2nd gen impreza body style (round headlights) or you like the newest body style (look for the Lance Armstrong ads), then go for a WRX. The EJ20T 2 liter engine packs a whollop, and drives the little rally-wannabe to 60 in 5.7 seconds. Not bad for a car around $25k new. Now, for the big boy. The STi is a Subaru dream come true! 300hp and 300lb/ft of ground ripping torque, with a manually controlled center differential and other fun goodies (like the intercooler spray button!) The only thing is that it's well over $35k new, and it STILL does not come with a STEREO! (though the dealer can install one for a price $$$). In any case, that's my $.02 on the subject. Once again, welcome to the board, and hope your Sube hunt ends well!

ScoobySchmitty:banana:

Welcome to the board, and back to Soobs.

Subaru finally has the clutch problem fixed, as of 2003. My MY99 Forester has a bit of a judder problem, but only when the tranny is cold. Subaru also has a goodwill program to fix broken clutches, but it's very seldom used...If I were you I'd buy either a new (or used '03) Subaru, or wait another couple years...or buy a Gen 1 Legacy.

The RS is basically a short-wheelbase Legacy. Same engine, same tranny, different suspension. The WRX is a rally wannabe with a turbo and sport suspension, and that ridiculous rear wing. The STi is as close as you can get to a street-legal rally car Stateside, but it's not a daily driver unless you live outside the Snowbelt or you want to get snow tires on high-performace rims (or buy a beater for the winter months).

Several car magazines, however, have compared the STi to an M3 or similar detuned 3-series...and the STi has emerged either a close second or a close first. The WRX has also been Consumer Reports' "most fun to drive" for the past 2 years. I really don't think you can go wrong with a Soob; my only advice is to stay away from used Outbacks and new Outback Sports, and anything pre-MY03 with a manual shift.