Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing with a legacy

Guest intrigueing

I'm getting a boat (free from my mother in law) and I am trying to figure out how to get it from place to place. My other car can not tow, and I would rather not buy a vehicle just for pulling the boat. I would probably only use the boat locally every other weekend (going 40 miles roundtrip every other weekend). The boat is an older fiberglass (16.5 feet?) with an 85 outboard - no idea on the weight.

Is a 95 Legacy Wagon AT up to the task? Trans cooler? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Guest theotherskip

legacys are rated for 1000 lbs (no trailer brakes), 2000 lbs (with t-brakes). aux transmission coolers help the transmission dump the extra heat generated from the added load. you may have to have brakes put on the trailer, but you should be fine. the boat & trailer (not incl. motor) probably are in the 1000lbs range. the motor is probably in the 2-300 lbs range. you could have it weighed at a truck scale to get a better idea of the total weight.

Guest Setright

I towed a 1960's Morgan the other day. Poor thing had lost fuel pressure....damn Lucas Electrics!

Sorry, I'll stick to the post: I'd say wait and see on the need for a cooler. If the "AT Temp" comes on you should install an oil cooler. Obvious, eh?

On the other hand an oil cooler could help anyway....but sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone :D

Guest nuburu2

Your Subie should be up to towing such a small boat. I towed my 13 Ft Boston Whaler with my 91 and now my 98, both 5 MT's. I would consider the cooler as a preventative move, as the pull up the ramp, with the boat, possibly containing some water, and ramps of varying steepness may challenge the AT. WTH, it'll cost less than the hitch!! My $.02.

Glenn O

Guest gbhrps

I towed my 18 foot fiberglass boat with a 4 clyinder inboard/outboard with my 97 OB (auto) and my 02 OB (auto). Granted, I only trailer the boat 20 miles from storage to launch at the season's start, and back again at season's end. Nooo problem on the launch ramp at all. No AT cooler, no trailer brakes, again no problem, but....I didn't take any chances. I stayed in 3rd gear, accelerated slowly, slowed down wayyyy before I needed to, and where I live its flat as a postcard for 150 miles in all directions. If I were going to tow it across Canada, I would put in a tranny cooler and the electric brakes, but I more likely would get a heavier tow vehicle.

My 2 cents worth.