Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to read Check Engine OBDII codes and diagnostics?

Guest harborseal55

For my 1996 Legacy, is there a connector I could buy to read the Check Engine codes on my laptop, or do you have to buy either the Subaru Select Monitor or OBDII General Scan Tool in order to read the diagnostic info? (I got those two terms from my factory service manual)? How expensive is this stuff?

Are these options so expensive that it may be easier even in the long run to have one of the auto parts store chains read the codes for me?

My Check Engine light came on last week, although the car still runs like nothing is offbeat.

Guest theotherskip

there are connectors which allow you to read obdII codes on a laptop. search around and you should find them - jcwhitney could be one source. many vary widely depending on how good the software is that runs them. others here may have suggestions.

as far as the hardware readers, be prepared to spend at least $200 for a basic model, $400 and up for more advanced.

your best bet may be to go to some of the auto stores (such as autozone) which scan codes for free...

Guest Commuter

There is software by "Harrison" that some people have. Frag will probably post the link. I think there are 2 or 3 different ones out there that allow you to use your laptop, or even a palm pilot. Sometimes there are group buys on these things on clubs like NASIOC.

I'm in Canada and one of the auto chain stores recently had a sale on a generic OBDII reader ($250 reduced to $150 Canadian). I picked one up. I haven't even taken it out of the package yet. I don't think they get much lower than that as the prior post indicates.

Commuter