Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ProRally in minnesota

Guest Subie Gal

ojibwe pro rally eh?

best day to go is saturday...

there's not much for spectating on friday...

most of the stages are in the evening.

i competed there last year

and likely will be back this year.

it was pro rally of the year last year...

if that tells you anything... :)

Jamie

www.subiegalracing.com

www.allsubaru.com

Guest Greg Donovan

Ojibwe Foests Pro Rally

got to http://www.ojibweforestsrally.com for more info.

there is no fee and there really isnt anywhere to "get in" since its in the wood around akley and osage minnesota. the headquarters is in bemidji at the northern inn. due to some tragic events that hapened earlier in the year the spectating areas a limited to designated areas. the spots are good spots and they know how many people to expect so it will still be cool and fun. but gone are the days of pickin a good acess road and finding your own spot to watch. but this is the only way the sport would be allowed to continue.

greg

Guest remarcable

I suggest getting a good map of the area and any other information you can find on where the stages start, stop, and where the legit spectator areas are.

You can usually sneak off into the woods and find an exciting turn to spectate, but be careful. You REALLY don't want to end up on a live stage trying to get from one point to another if you are driving. Walking is best.

Bring water, bug spray, and some comfortable shoes. I haven't been to this rally before, so I'm not sure how well coordinated it is. Usually there are marshals and rally people who are more than happy (bitter) to direct you.

At a larger rally like this one everything should be pretty clearly marked. I was at sandblast a year or so ago and ended up putting about 100 miles on my car driving around service roads looking for the stages. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast driving on those roads, but I really wanted to see the cars.

I eventually met up with the guy who had all the timing equipment, and he was lost also. So I followed him at 60mph on windy sand roads (fun) until we found the next stage, where the cars were lined up waiting for him and the equipment.

There were some other people who got lost and so they started deputizing anyone they could catch and I got stuck sitting at a turn for 3 hours blocking and directing traffic (drunk irish rally fans are fun to try and control) while the cars ran through, then came back. I did get to see an incident which nearly flattened several tipsy rally fans, but thankfully the driver (Paddy O'brien I think) was fine along with his codriver. Nearly took off a wheel though, poor car.

Oh, I suggest setting yourself up near a sturdy tree or up on a ledge. You basically want to be out of the danger area in case a driver loses control.

Guest Greg Donovan

you can no longer sneak into the woods to spectate. if a competitor sees spectators in a non spectator area they will stop throw out the red cross and the stage will be stopped and or cancelled untill the errant spectators are removed. they are very serious about this.

that aside a map is a good idea an even better one is go to hq friday morning and volunteer to work as a course marshall and you will be taken to a spot to work on a hot stage where there are no other people. i have marshalled this rally many times it is alot of fun! if you go to the website you can even sign up ahead of time. on the sit is information about the triple caution rallycross this sunday at the corcoran lions park in corcoran mn just 25 min south of rogers. and on wednesday is the luther subaru rallyfest at the same location which will have all the factory teams there on display as well as a mini super special state that will be run around 6 or so.

so come have fun just dont sneak into the woods please.

greg