Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stock speaker wire routing on 87 GL-10

hey folks.. I am about to embark upon a stereo installation adventure (!) and i am contemplating replacing the stock speaker wire.. i was anticipating possibly running the rear channel wires back along either side up along the ceiling molding... but i was wondering where they ran the stock wiring?? is is tucked inside the chassis, or what? I'm also thinking about leaving the entire stock stereo system intact, and just wiring this one totally by hand.. (i am well versed in the do's and dont's of such an adventure, worry not..) My big problem is that this is a GL-10, with a trip computer.. so instead of just a stereo and a little cargo bay like the rest of you have, my stereo is offset to the side of that pod and the computer controls are on the side.. so i really am stymied by the prospect of installing a "kit" as ive seen some in the junkyard. They seem to completely take over that bay, thus forcing me to re-locate the computer controls... a recreational impossibilty... so im wondering what might be done. it doesnt look to me like i can manage to wedge it into the superstructure, but im going to investigate in full tomorrow... and at the very least its going to take a customized escutcheon plate.. or whatever you wanna call that trim ring thingy that covers that stuff up....

i may try to get ahold of a digital camera and take some photos.. it seems like someone else must have dealt with the installation of a stereo and retained the trip computer.. do kits exist to install a stereo in my car, without moving that? Im also planning on calling some stores and investigating retail availability of install kits, but im dubious that ciruit city stocks this particular install kit for a top-end '87 subaru..... but who knows? im gonna give it a shot..

my other big thought is that my console has been cut, where it joins up underneath the stereo pod.. so i might end up mounting it there somehow... but it certainly wouldnt be tidy, nor theft-proof...

any thoughts are appreciated

shawn c

I replaced everything on my 86 except the wiring... It appeared to go through the frame... But I love how mine sounds I just wish that there were some other speaker slots other then the ones by your feet... My stupid leg tends to cover my speaker... Anyway I had little problem getting in the new speakers and hooking up a new cd player, except one of the speakers was a pain in the a$$ because it had started to disolve. It funny when people get into my tank of a car and I turn on to a cd player most people are completly surprised...

i built a speaker box for the back seat.. ive got two 6 1/2" woofers, with two 2 1/2" tweeters in it, and thats the big reason im re wiring the back.. i have that set up on a long pigtail so i can pull it out of the car if ever needs be, and use it for external sound :- )

I also have some two way EMIT/silk dome tweeters off of a pair of infinity kappa 6x9s that i am using as front channels.. im not sure how im going to mount them but im thinking on the pillars, or maybe somehow onto the dashboard.. i dont think any speaker is going to fit in the door that wont be utterly blocked out by my leg :- )

my big difficulty lies in installing the stereo without relocating my computer controls... i dont know how im going to do it. i havent contacted anyone about an install kit specific for this model, but im dubious that one might exist the more i look at it.

I took some photos of the car today with a borrowed digital camera, and when my friend downloads them to her machine tonight i should get them from her... so i can show you what im dealing with.. and also the rust-holes that exposed my gas door latch problem :lol:

anyhow, thats where i stand now.. i have a new battery to put in the car, but i dont want to disconnect because i need to swap the pos. and neg. cables (replaced them one at a time, and theyre both semi-generics.. but the bigger terminal is on the smaller battery lug, and vice versa, so i wanna swap them) and when i unhook the battery i lose all the stereo presets... and the tuning buttons on the stereo work once in a blue moon, so whenever the battery dies, its about a week or two before i get radio stations tuned in again....:mad: so i am waiting until i get the new tunes in to change the battery.