Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Northern NV wheelin' this weekend? (10-7 or 10-8)?

Greetings!!

Hey for those of you in the Reno/Carson City area..... anyone interested in an impromptu run this weekend? My wife needs some time away from the kids and I was thinking about going for a drive somewhere around the area. I was actually thinking about heading up towards Markleeville and the Barney Riley trail which goes up to a hot springs on the Carson river. I was checking out the run on reno4x4.com (thanks for hint to that site JIBS!:headbang:) However, not committed to that trail....

I'll be taking my daughter's Geo Tracker out and not my sons Hatch so not looking to get wild and crazy, but more of a "get out and see the.... ahhhhhhh......colors of fall..." type of run. Anyone got suggestions and / or want to go? I know it's short notice, but hey.... usually more fun with more people:) I was looking to go out on Sunday, but might be able to go on Saturday. Also thought about running out the frog ponds near gerlach....

Anyways.... let me know.

NV

yeah I might be able to swing something. The Brat is ALMOST going again, but I don't think its a fuel issue any more.:mad:

Dude let me know if you need any help!!! You need to get that brat goin!!!!! If the fuel cell did not solve the problem I'm starting to think it's an electrical issue.

I'm out.:mad: The Brat's not acting right and its making me real depressed. Looking at the amount of money I've put into this thing to STILL not have it run is stupid. I also remember having wheeled the Brat a grand total of 3 times this YEAR.:mad:

Hey guys,

Looks like we're going to try and head out of here around 9 tomorrow. I think we're going to head down towards Topaz and cut back in towards the Laviathon mine and hopefully work our way to the hot springs on the river. I'm gonna check the board, but if anyone wants to come along unannounced, we're gonna top off gas in Minden at the AM-PM right as you come into town. We should be there about 9:45 and we'll hang until 10. We'll be in the red Geo Tracker with the safari style soft top....

NV

Overall not too bad.

Didn't make it to where we wanted to go...but even a bad day wheelin' is better than a good day stayin' at home!:headbang:

We started out heading down 395 below Gardnerville. We turned at the Leviathan mine road and headed back in on a side road. We got to within about 1.5 miles of the "hot tub" on the Carson river, but we hit a fence at someone's property line :mad:. So we turned around and headed back to the highway...

Further down 395, past Topaz, we turned up the road to Monitor Pass. Lot's of color up there. We headed down from the top and turned off on Loope road. We drove that road WAY back in until we got to about a mile away from the hot tub, but by then it was getting late, and we'd come down some pretty steep, very rough sections of road, and I didn't want to try and work our way back out in the dark. :rolleyes: And to go any further we would have had to drop down a few more rough sections.

Here's a link (I think it will work) to some of the pics we took. We ran into 2 bears along the way into the river and came across one more on the way back from Markleeville along the road.

The Loope road way in, is definately not a road for long wheel base vehicles, although the Tracker didn't bottom too many times, there were a couple of spots that I had to work to get it through. I think a suby with some lift could get in, but you'd probably want to take it real easy. I got into a couple of places (going in) where I had to drop the right front over an edge, and that left me with a tire in rear up in the air at the same time about 2 feet........ It rocked over real slow, and I wasn't really worried about rolling or anything, but heading down hill, and then having the front drop even further.....interesting feeling.:eek:

Coming out, I got out and had to move some rather large rocks so that I didn't have to twist the truck up and lift wheels.... Of course, I didn't get any pics of the "fun" stuff....my camera person was holding on for dear life :clap:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=928

I'd like to go back out and make it all the way in, but it can make a person being that far off the path, with just one vehicle. We only passed one truck all day once we got off the pavement...

NV

Sounds like you had fun, I'm still mad I didn't get to play. I'm trying to be good and not wheelin any of the "daily drivers" and only the lifted Brat, but it doesn't look like the lifted wants to run.:mad: I figured the weber needs a rebuild. (It's been on since the end of July:mad: )