Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback Wagon front bug shield

Guest rem14

I just bought a 2003 outback,becaus my 2002 had the crappy clutch and other problems( clutch on 2003 is MUCH better!). My question is that it came with the factory installed bug deflector which has the rubber bumpers installed on it instead of the hood of the car. Won't this rub the paint off my hood? I noticed a sedan that had the same but had clear tape on the hood under the bumpers, anyone know where I can get the tape as the dealer didn't know what to say about it. THANKS

Guest gbhrps

My 02 OB has the front deflector bumpers (six of them). They are clear and are attached to the hood of the car, where I agree they will not rub the paint, but given enough time, if ever removed, will show how the paint has fadded but not underneath them. My personal feeling is that its a good trade off and a concern for the next owner when I sell the car in 10 years time or so. I agree that the way your bumpers are installed, the paint will eventually be rubbed through. See if you can get some new ones, or remove the ones you have and reattach them to the hood with double sided tape, in the same locations.