Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone using Michelin Hydroedge?

I'm about to replace my Michelin X-Ones with new tires. I can get the X radial for about $375, versus roughly $470 for the Hydroedge for four tires, mounted.

Michelin claims better performance on their website in most categories - wet traction, dry traction, etc.

My sister in law got a set on her car recently. An Oldsmobile. I have no idea how they are. She's not the sort or person that could tell you anything.

My one concern would be the fact that they are directional. IMHO, one gets the most even wear on a tire if they can move it around to "all" positions on the car. That means, reversing the direction of rotation. That is not possible with a directional tire. (One could have the tires "flipped" on the wheel at the half wear point to move them to the other side of the car, but you still can't reverse the direction. And there would be the added cost of re-mounting the tires.)

I partly steered away from the Goodyear Aquatred 3 a couple of years ago for this reason.

I wore out a set of X-Ones on my 97 OB. Good all around tire. I've been running Toyo 800 Ultra's for the past 2 years. A little better grip all around then the X-Ones I'd say, but a tad noiser, and I've had to battle a slight, but persistent vibration. (They just seem to be sensitive to proper balancing.)

Commuter

My outback came with XW4 raised white outline, pretty much standard on them I believe, and they went 65,000 miles. I usually buy bridgestone or firestone because I like the local dealer, but he said his product was only going 40 to 45,000 on legacy models. I found the XW4 is still available from Sam's club for special order about $99 a tire, and checked the Michelin web site. They rate Hydroedge as follows: Treadwear 10, wet traction 10, quiet ride 10 Non performance tire relative handling 10, Winter traction 8. The XW4 in the same categories is 5,4,7,5 and 4. Hydroedge has an 85,000 mile warranty, highest of any michelin tire, and they claim it is now their best. I think for 205-70-15 they were listed about $125 a tire so they had better be good! I was not going to spend that much and found them on sale at Sears for $95 a tire. I own a lot of high performance cars and have had my fill of unidirectional tires, but have not had a lot of problems with uneven tire wear on Subaru, so I decided to take a chance on tires that cannot be criss crossed. If they even come close to the 85,000 mile mark I may not see the end of their life. In the meantime, I haven't had them that long, but they are as advertised. Better than the old tires in quiet and everyday feel. It seems like fuel economy is slightly better, but I never measured it close enough to tell for sure. They are night and day better in rain, haven't seen any use in snow yet. Very happy with them.