Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Disc Conversion...Spline Pattern?

Guest RallyWagon

Guest RallyWagon

Hey,

I have an '84 Wagon 4WD, and I am considering the rear disc brake conversion. When I replace front axles, I always have a heck of a time finding an exact match for the splines/spacing of stub axle in the bearings and hub/rotor. My question is.....

...What are the odds that my rear axle stubs ('84) will align properly with the rear disc hubs/rotors from a later model? I know a lot of you have done this conversion, and I have never heard of anyone having to return their hubs or replace their rear axles to get proper alignment.

Thanks.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

I've done the conversion on both an 82 Brat, and an 84 Coupe, so the splines are a 100% match. There isn't a whole lot to the swap. Check out Brian's (Subaru Junkie) site, he has a write up with pictures to show you how to get it all done. Catch ya Laters.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Yeah, check out http://www.subaru4wd.net and you'll see a link on the left for Rear Disc Conversion. Its a pretty basic swap. When you remove the rotor, you dont need to remove the splines or adjust anything, just remove your drum, slide the rotor on... vwalla!

-Brian

Guest MilesFox

did the same on the trashwagon

as far as lookin' around, the 2wd and 4wd rear disc calipers are the same. the splines on the hub will fit ea81 and ea82. the rotors between 2wd and 4wd are the same, but its the hub thats different.

my parts came from a 4wd, but i used 2wd rotors that were in better shape. the hub will unbolt from the rotors, so therefore they are swappable, 4wd hubs on 2wd rotors. everything bolts up as long as you have all the parts

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Also don't forget the brake line. I got the short piece that actually goes into the caliper, and then jes removed the old line at the first break from the wheel cylinders. Catch ya Laters.

Guest MilesFox

if the xt6 rear trailing arm is tha same as that of an ea82, you could just swap out the whole trailing arm, caliper/rotor, and brake line in one piece.

and an ea82 rear trailing arm will fit on an 84 wagon with slight mod.

first grind down the sleeve in the bushing to let it fit in the mounting bracket on the suspension tube. dremel out the holes and use the bolt from the ea82. then on the flat side piece with the 3 bolts, cut a notch for the brake line.

if you want to know how it does, then just ask the trashwagon!

Guest RallyWagon

Thanks for the advice. Now I need to find the rear calipers/rotors in Western NC. Then I will have them machined to a 4x100 mm bolt pattern like my exisiting mod.

I appreciate the info.