Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bell housing depth?EJ vs. EA

Gloyale

I want to do an EJ swap into my '89 GL, with FT4wd automatic. All the info I've seen is about manuals. I know a 1/2 inch adapter plate is used between the engine/tranny housing. With this combo does the distance From crank to input shaft change? It is critical for my Torque converter.

I measured the depth from my EA82t's bell housing face to the crankend. it is 1.575 inches or almost excactly 40mm. Can someone tell me if an EJ measured in this same way would be shallower. Needs to be 1.075 inches. or 28.4mm. Does anyone have an EJ sitting out they can measure.

Not quite what you are asking but... You have the 4 speed Automatic in your GL? (This is the only Old-Gen FT4WD automatic.) If so, save yourself some pain and frustration and get an EJ 4-speed auto to go with the engine. Basically, same tranny with different "bell housing". If you have the 3-speed auto (PT4WD) I would strongly suggest you rethink your plan.

Not quite what you are asking but... You have the 4 speed Automatic in your GL? (This is the only Old-Gen FT4WD automatic.) If so, save yourself some pain and frustration and get an EJ 4-speed auto to go with the engine. Basically, same tranny with different "bell housing". If you have the 3-speed auto (PT4WD) I would strongly suggest you rethink your plan.

I do have a 4 speed. it is a FT4WD. My GL is a Turbo. But anyway. I have been round and round over this and I do not want to have to swap TCU's and rear diff. I also don't want to have to modify a driveshaft. I just want to swap an EJ into my car as it is without having to disassemble the whole drivetrain.

Can someone please just give me an answer and not tell mne to swap in an EJ. Please. measure an EJ bellhousing for depth. Please

The 1/2" adapter is really to make up for the EJ engine having a shallower bellhousing - it makes your transmission think it's hooked up to an EA engine. This means that it doesn't matter what EA transmission your car has - you still need the 1/2" adapter plate (if you want to get really technical, it's 11mm - if it's "crucial" as you say, then I leave it up to you as to whether 12mm is suitable).

As EA-motored cars can swap between EA manual/auto trannys without adapting the bellhousing, there is no difference between their bellhousings' depth.

The real issue is whether your EA 4EAT can handle the EJ engine. Best of luck!

The 1/2" adapter is really to make up for the EJ engine having a shallower bellhousing - it makes your transmission think it's hooked up to an EA engine. This means that it doesn't matter what EA transmission your car has - you still need the 1/2" adapter plate

I understand I need the adapter. I just need to know if with the adapter it puts the overall distance from the crank end to the mating surface(including the adapter attached to engine) at excactly the same distance. some amount of difference could be taken up by a clutch. But an automatic has 3 concentric shafts for input that must line up at just the right point inside the torque converter. I'd say <1 mm would be absolute max it could be off and probably only in the "too long" direction.

As EA-motored cars can swap between EA manual/auto trannys without adapting the bellhousing, there is no difference between their bellhousings' depth.

I realize EA engines are the same no matter Manual or Auto. EJ's are as well. I am asking about the depth of the EJ bell housing as COMPARED to the EA. regardless of what tranny they where originally mated too.

...I realize EA engines are the same no matter Manual or Auto. EJ's are as well. I am asking about the depth of the EJ bell housing as COMPARED to the EA. regardless of what tranny they where originally mated too.

I believe that what Baccaruda means is that you can infer the depth based on the interchange/adaptability of the other combinations. To that end, the 11mm (I had heard it was 12mm, and most people used the near-13mm 1/2inch stock :-\) thick adapter is what would make it all come together.

As far as getting an actual measurement, I checked my spares and would have had to remove a flywheel or a TC to make the measurement, and did not have tools or the time then to do so. Sorry.

let me try again.. :dead:

we swap autos to manuals all the time in stock EA82 cars.

They fit exactly the same.

The EJ engine bellhousing is 1/2" or 12mm shorter than the EA engine bellhousing. The adapter makes up the difference, and the EA transmission can't tell the difference. You'll be fine with the adapter plate. Your transmission and torque converter, I dont' know. You might need a custom torque converter with an engine 150% stronger than stock..

Thank you so much. that means that should be a pretty excact fit with a true half inch adapter plate. So many people have thrown around numbers between 11mm and 13mm that wanted to get an actaul measurement. I will still measure down to the thousenth when I do my swap and possible shim or shave the TC to flexplate mounts. But this gives me enough to be convinced I can do it how I want! Thanks!

also I have the flexplate off of the 22E if you want it, just pay for shipping.

I think I have to use my EA flexplate. Unless the EJ one is the same size/boltpattern with regards to the Torque Converter mounting. If that is the same it would be nice to use an EJ flexplate, so I don't have to drill out the crank mounting holes on an EA one. Are the starter teeth on the flexplate or the Torque converter on an EJ?