Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How about some engine installation articles for the USRM?

From the people who know how to do it? I want to grab an EA71 from Rouge River and go put it in Caboobaroos wagon and rescue it from the crusher, trouble is I haven't got the slightest clue how. Seems pretty straight forward but I'm completely inept when it comes to wiring and hoses.... and puting mechanical thuings together. I did search but got too few results or too many to go through. What tools do I need? How much does an EA71 weigh? Thanks for any info at all

I've removed/installed EA71s with me and the aid of a helper. They're pretty light and I can move one by myself. In order to put remove and engine/install an engine for that car, here's a rundown on what needs to be done...

top two bellhousing bolts (14mm), pitch stopper needs to be removed (12mm nut and 14mm bolt on firewall IIRC), 2 - 17mm nuts on the bottom of the bellhousing, disconnect radiator hoses, disconnect electric fan and thermoswitch, remove radiator (2 - 12mm bolts), disconnect engine wiring harness (1 plug), disconnect 2 heater hoses, disconnect throttle cable, remove 4 - 14mm nuts on exhaust, remove 2 - 14mm nuts on engine mounts -> crossmember studs, disconnect alternator wiring, disconnect grounds from battery and possibly to the body as well, and then just lift the engine and pull out. Its easier to put a jack under the front diff case and jack it up to help with clearance for removing and installing the engine as far as the engine mounts. I might have missed something but that should be it. I also like to disconnect the clutch cable but its not nessessary until installation.

OK I am about 130 punds, I can lift people slightly heavier than me so I think I can pull that off. Can always employ my dad if needed. The thing that scared me was the wiring harness - as long as it's plug in plug out then I'm good. So it is running like as is after all? Are there bad axles availible I could use the stubs from to plug into the trans? I would get a new engine anyway until something could be done with the blue one. All I gotta do now is make sure I have enough cash to get there and back (gas for truck going up gas for truck and wagon going back)

OK I am about 130 punds, I can lift people slightly heavier than me so I think I can pull that off. Can always employ my dad if needed. The thing that scared me was the wiring harness - as long as it's plug in plug out then I'm good. So it is running like as is after all? Are there bad axles availible I could use the stubs from to plug into the trans? I would get a new engine anyway until something could be done with the blue one. All I gotta do now is make sure I have enough cash to get there and back (gas for truck going up gas for truck and wagon going back)

you need the CV ends so the front wheels don't fall off, not on the tranny. I believe there should be one axle in the back and one stub in some of the EA81 suspension parts I had under it. There are some of the original knuckles, control arms and such, but one knuckle is painted black and has no bearings in it since I glassbeaded it before I painted it. If you can get the knuckles (or wheel bearings and seals for one side), calipers, rotors, new balljoints or good used ones, you could put the original front end back together. Ther is no engine in it, its in the garage on the floor. I thought I sent you a link to the pics? I can't remember but here it is, and the most recent pics are the last ones, which I took a little over a year ago... http://rides.webshots.com/album/302448662rflEga