Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just fixed a burnt valve on a 2.5 and had a difficult time getting the engine back in the 97 OB with a manual transmission. Once I finally got in it sounded like a thrashing machine. Loud scraping noise from the throw out bearing /bellhousing. I've had this engine out several time over the last couple of years for HG and clutch replacement but I've never had this problem. Anyone had a similar problem or ideas what could be wrong?

These 2.5s are definately troublesome. I've owned subarus for years but this is the worst. Seems like as soon as one problem is fixed another develops.

97 Outback 5 Speed 127K miles

Thanks

Originally posted by soldierrsb

Just fixed a burnt valve on a 2.5 and had a difficult time getting the engine back in the 97 OB with a manual transmission. Once I finally got in it sounded like a thrashing machine. Loud scraping noise from the throw out bearing /bellhousing. I've had this engine out several time over the last couple of years for HG and clutch replacement but I've never had this problem. Anyone had a similar problem or ideas what could be wrong?

These 2.5s are definately troublesome. I've owned subarus for years but this is the worst. Seems like as soon as one problem is fixed another develops.

97 Outback 5 Speed 127K miles

Thanks

It's not the car... You broke something....

Did you inspect the whole clutch assembly while the engine was out?

It is likely that you damaged the throwout or pilot bearing pulling the engine out.

The rule of thumb is that you ALWAYs change the clutch and all its parts when the engine is pulled, because the labour is the expensive part. At a minimum change the pilot and release bearing since these two are often damaged when an engine is pulled.

Also why did you pull the engine to change a head/valve? The heads come off quite easily with the engine in place. Sure you can do head work easier with the engine out, but you risk doing other damage.....