Ultimate Subaru Message Board

River bottoms shift...

WoodsWagon

especially after huge flows.

I took a little trip through the woods, down the power lines, and across the river. There's a well used river fording that had a relatively level bottom, and was only about a foot deep. Well, the river level had come most of the way down, but the bottom had changed a lot. Big rocks had moved around under there. Seeing as I don't have a snorkel on my car, it got sketchy. The river is probably around 75 feet across, with moderate flow, with a smattering of whitecaps. It had been fine to drive across before, but not now.

It was one of those deals that when you see the right front corner of the hood go under, and you know that your air intake is right there, that you just punch it and hold on. I could feel the car dragging on boulders, the back end was taking a hammering, and the skidplate was getting full use. It's all round riverstone, so it was shifting and and the wheels were scrabbling. Big holes had opened up, so the front was surfacing and diving pretty violently. The other bank was pretty steep, so I had to stay in it to make it up. I had to do a parts check on the other bank, the car had been hammered so hard. The rear floor pans had been pushed up, and there were scrapes all over the place, but everything was still there.

It get's scary when you know you're commited to getting to the other side, and you don't know what's waiting halfway.

Pics? no? well that sounds like quite a bit of fun, dont like stopping in the middle of something like that to get out and take pics lol... sounds like quite a rush. I cant wait till I can do similar stuff again :-\

Well, I think I did actually damage the car in the river. I noticed that the front 2-bolt block on the rear subframe is toppled back about half an inch, and the floorpan is torn. I must whacked it on a rock. Frigin'A, time to bust out the MIG welder again.