Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so the other day i accidently broke in half the only key in existance to my 90 legacy sedan. Whats more is that when the key broke the other half was lost somewhere, i dont think its in the ignition because the other half of the key wont go in. so im guessing that its on the ground somewhere. ANYWAY today i went out there and busted open the steering collumn and tried to see if i could just pull the ignition and replace it with a boneyard one. Unfortunately i have insufficient tools and cant get to some of those hard to reach screws. Its just my pizza delivery beater car so i was thinking of rigging up some starter button, but the steering wheel is locked so i think ill need to break the pins. How hard is it to replace the igniton, or is it just easier to hotwire it and bust the collumn? is there some kind of trick to unlock the steering collum or should i be asking this question on the car stealing message board? This car is strictly my beater car, its got almost 200k and if it makes it to next summer i will be very surprised, so cosmetically i dont care if im driving around with no plastic on the collum and a pushbutton starter. Thanks alot, Eric.

I thought I saw something on 60minutes a few months ago and that all you needed to do was provide a dealer with your VIN, and as long as you had the proper paperwork (sometimes you didn't, eek!) they could lookup the key code and cut a replacement.

Of course, on my old sentra when my tumbler got screwed up I ripped off the plastic, and had to drill out the fasteners that held the ignition to the steering column, on mine there was a "bolt" that stuck into the column that locked the steering wheel, easy enough to eliminate by shifting the ignition position. Hotwiring was easy enough from there..

Of course I would hope they have made some improvements since the early 80's..

:eek: