Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 Legacy AWD Wagon, which has 185/70/14 tires. While at the junkyard looking for parts I saw an older (early 90's) Legacy wagon with factory rims that were taller and wider (I want to say that they were 195/60/15). Would I be able to use these on my Legacy? Are all of the Legacy wheels interchangeable?

Originally posted by axgutt

I have a 95 Legacy AWD Wagon, which has 185/70/14 tires. While at the junkyard looking for parts I saw an older (early 90's) Legacy wagon with factory rims that were taller and wider (I want to say that they were 195/60/15). Would I be able to use these on my Legacy? Are all of the Legacy wheels interchangeable?

Most Legacy/Outback and Impreza rims are interchangable. The only restriction is brake clearance. Some Subarus require 15 inch wheels and others require 16 inch wheels. Since you are replacing 14 inch wheels, you do NOT have any restriction.

How to measure tires:

there are three numbers in tire size 185 / 70 / 14

The first component (185) is the width of the tire tread in milimeters (metric)

The second component (70) is the profile (sidewall height) which is measured as a percentage of tire tread width.

The third component (14) is the wheel size and is measured in inches.

When changing wheel sizes, you must keep the tire diameter very close to the original size.

I know for a FACT that 195/60-15 tires were installed on the Legacy LS/LSi/GT models and will work perfectely, but here is how to calculate tire diameter to be sure.

take the tread width and multply by profile (185mm X 70%) = 129.5mm (this is the tire sidewall height)

divide the tire sidewall height by 25.4 mm/inch to convert mm to inches. 129.5mm / 25.4 mm/inch = 5.1 inches

Multiply the tire height by 2 (5.1 inches X 2 = 10.2 inches)

Add the wheel size (14) (10.2 inches + 14 = 24.2 inches.

So your 185/70-14 tire diameter is 24.2 inches.

With the 195/60-16 tires the diameter is 24.2 as well

((( 195mm * 60%)*2) / 25.4mm/inch)+15inches = 24.2inches

The above are "design" diameters, not the actual diameters which can vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer and with tire wear, but the calculated method is more than close enough.

You can usually change the profile by up to ten percent so long as the overall diameter does not change, any more the ten percent can cause problems though. Tire width is usually the cause of restrictions such as strut and fender rubbing.

If you decide to get the wheels from the scrap yard, inspect them very carefully for damage. I would also NOT use the tires on them, as you don't know their history. In fact in many areas it is illegal to resell used tires not attached to a vehicle.

If you decide to take the tires too, it is very important that all four tires have the same circumference. You have to properly inflate each tire and measure around the center of the tire with a slim tape measure. Each tire should be within 1/4 inch of each other (according to Subaru).

The taller/wider rims you saw were probably from the 91-94 Turbo Legacy or 95/96 Legacy LS/LSi. The Turbo Legacy wheels were also used on the 96 Outback.