Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

bad o2 or no o2 which is worse?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_korrupt66_*

Guest_korrupt66_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:19 PM

I tried to change a bad o2 sensor in my 93 subaru loyale and it can't get it to brake loose. So should I keep running it with a bad o2 sensor or none at all?

#2 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2003 - 06:42 PM

The O2 sensor is an integral part of the engine's operation. Have you sprayed it down with penetrating lube real good? Leave it hooked up, but try to get it out and get a new one in.

#3 Guest_PAezb_*

Guest_PAezb_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2003 - 07:02 PM

Make sure you warm the exhaust up a bit, just don't burn yourself. Might help expand the fitting to get it loose - it did for me when I replaced my O2...

Paul

#4 Guest_subyluvr2212_*

Guest_subyluvr2212_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:10 PM

What did you use to try to get it out?

I haven't changed my own O2 sensor, but I did on a friend's Jeep when it was completely cold.

Discount Auto Parts sells O2 sensor removal tools which are basically sockets with a large section cut out so you don't ruin the pigtail wire. That allows you to put a ratcheting wrench on it, and a pipe extension, if necessary...

#5 Guest_PAezb_*

Guest_PAezb_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:27 AM

If you disconnect the pigtail from the main harness before you start turning the O2 sensor you shouldn't have a problem. And I only replaced the forward O2,
but the rear should be as easy if not easier.

Hah, I used a 12" crescent wrench! I was able to jocky it better than an open end-wrench. Slipped it underneath the inner CV joint housing (green in color on my Outback) onto the Old O2, from the rear, passenger side, working above the engine bay. Seems to me I measured the hex body of the new O2 with a caliper, then set the crescent wrench to the caliper. And no, I didn't tighten the new O2 to spec, I don't even know what it is. I just snugged it down good.

I haven't replaced the rear O2 sensor, I see no point as the front one is the more important for the signals to the computer for fuel mixture adjustments - unless someone can tell me different....

Incidentally, I feel the new O2 replacement at 101K miles did make an improvement on the engine performance. A bit smoother and gas mileage gained back 1-2 mpg I lost in the previous 15K miles prior to replacement.

Paul

#6 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:07 AM

his loyale will only have one O2 sensor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users