Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Starters

Guest Rich

Anyone with any good/bad experiences on aftermarket starters for Legacys? I need one for a 90' 2.2 AT. I plan on getting it this weekend. Advance has them for $90 with limited lifetime guarantee (whatever that means).

Thanks,

Rich

Guest GlCraigGT

What's wrong with the starter you have? A $10 +/- set of contacts is usually all that it take to get them working right again?

I replaced the contacts 5 months ago. They are fine. The problem is, sometimes, the solenoid will not drop the plunger to make contact. A few soft taps with a hammer on the solenoid, and it will usually make contact and start up fine. Usually happens when parking under power line towers. Weird huh? Anyway, the wife is afraid to drive it, and shops say solenoid replacement will cost as much as a starter, so... I figure to replace the starter for $90 instead of $220 that the dealer wants might be a good route to take. I just want to make sure I'm not going to screw something else up with aftermarket parts.

Rich

Guest TinyClark

When I cleaned up my contacts, I noticed the contacts weren't at the same height, causing the plunger disk to tilt slightly when the solenoid pulled it down. The contacts have since failed again, so I installed the rebuilt starter I got at partsamerica.com

I'l be back in the states next month, and will visit a starter shop to get new contacts and plunger for the old one.

Guest leonli

two years ago, I got a rebuilt starter from Murray's for $79. It was actually very easy to install. No problem with it whatsoever.