Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Outback CD Changer Magazine

Guest ScarySkwerl

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forums and a new Subaru owner as well. I recently got a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited and it has a CD changer in it. However, the magazine that actually holds the CD's is missing.

Any ideas on where I could order one or find someone who has one for sale? Thanks in advance!

Guest ScarySkwerl

None are very close to my location...

Does anyone happen to know the particular model number of the Panasonic changer Subaru used for this year? I think knowing this might boost my efforts a little bit.

Guest Commuter

Try some of the online Subaru dealers... Liberty Subaru or 1stparts or some others. They might know and be able to supply the part.

I can't help you with your quest beyond the above suggestion, but I'll throw out another possibility that you might not be aware of since you are new to Subaru.

Finding the cartridge would obviously be the easiest and least expensive. Where is the changer mounted thought? Is it under the seat, or in the dash?

The WRX's and some Foresters use a double DIN all in one Radio / tape / 6 CD changer Panasonic unit. It will plug right into the connector that you have (assuming you have the same as an non-Limited model). Many of the WRX guys dump the OEM unit almost immediately, so you can pick them up nearly new for a good price. I'm not quite sure what they are going for right now... around $150 US I think. No cartridge to mess with and it's at your fingertips.

It's what I did with my 97 Outback (not Limited) when the cheap aftermarket unit I bought (with 6 CD changer under the seat) died. I'm pleased with it. Good enough for my purposes. The changer under the seat was more of an inconvenience that I expected it to be. Perhaps I'm just lazy. :)

Commuter