Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to determine a direction for swap

Dangerdave

Hey,

I've been doing alot of searching and am hoping to bounce some things of the more experienced swappers in here. I've got a 93 impreza 1.8 awd imprezaL. The 1.8 has finally given up at 285,000. I bought a 2001 legacy gt engine to replace it. The new engine didn't come with a computer or harness. I'm trying to decide if I should:

a) Use the 1.8 harness. Which some people seem to have done with some success

B) Use a loose 2.2 harness and computer that I already have

I've read about several people running into problems with the timing being too advanced with the 1.8. Will the engine run better enough for me to justify all the work associated with running the 2.2 harness? I've heard that after you swap manifolds and intakes. The 2.2 harness will run the 2.5 quite well.

Any input or wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Hey,

I've been doing alot of searching and am hoping to bounce some things of the more experienced swappers in here. I've got a 93 impreza 1.8 awd imprezaL. The 1.8 has finally given up at 285,000. I bought a 2001 legacy gt engine to replace it. The new engine didn't come with a computer or harness. I'm trying to decide if I should:

a) Use the 1.8 harness. Which some people seem to have done with some success

B) Use a loose 2.2 harness and computer that I already have

I've read about several people running into problems with the timing being too advanced with the 1.8. Will the engine run better enough for me to justify all the work associated with running the 2.2 harness? I've heard that after you swap manifolds and intakes. The 2.2 harness will run the 2.5 quite well.

Any input or wisdom would be greatly appreciated

You have a pretty complex swap if you are going to put the complete 2001 engine onto the 93 car. Mainly because the 2001 is the OBD2 computer system and your impreza is OBD1. There are a ton more sensor and stuff on the OBD2 that your 93 car doesn't have.

I know that the 1.8 intake manifold will bolt up to a 2.2 long block. But I don't think it would work with a 2.5 long block. I know that the 2.2 heads will bolt onto the 2.5 short block. Then the 1.8 manifold might work bolted to the 2.2 heads. You would get a pretty high compression motor, in the neighborhood of 11.5:1.

Regarding the 2.2 harness and ECU you already have. If it's 1995 and newer, it's an OBD2 harness. You would have to make sure that you do something with the gas tank pressure sensor or you will trip a CEL.

You would probably need to get an OBD2 harness for the 2.5 motor and the 2.5 ECU. You might get by with a 2.2 ECU, but I am not sure. RS25 might be able to give more insight and info on this than here.

Call EastCoastSwapper or Garage Tuning to see if they have parts lying around or can give you some technical advice.

Good Luck