Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mountain Loop Highway Adventure? (east of Everett Washington)

Mike W

Hey I just heard that after four years of being closed due to storm damage, the Mountain Loop Highway has finally reopened from Darrington to Barlow Pass!

So any interest in doing a tour de Mountain Loop? Kind of a last fall trip before the snow flies. There's lots of side roads and stuff to explore, a cool fire lookout up on North Mountain above Darrington, and even some abondonned/washed out roads for Hatch Patrollin'. If meet-up points were established, this could be a fun day trip for steet cars and offroaders alike. The only catch is that Barlow Pass will be closed for the winter pretty soon, so any Loop trips will need to happen before the first big white dump.

I'd suggest doing the loop in the clockwise direction. Perhaps meet near the I-5 exit by Arlington.

So anyone interested?

I actually don't know for sure if I'll be able to go, I have a lot of other pressing issues this month. But I thought, what the heck, toss the idea out there and see what comes together. If can go great but if not everyone else should have a blast. It's a fun and very scenic drive. Here's the Scenic Byway webpage showing the route and some points of interest.

Two weekends ago I went up to Barlow Pass. I did the one mile hike up to Barlow Point and then explored a number or abandonned roads and got the Legacy nice and muddy. It's alright going alone but it would have been more fun with a bunch of other folks.

The road was still blocked a mile north of Barlow Pass. I saw a guy and a kid on dirt bikes go around the barricade like they where headed for Darrington. I wondered where they could be going and decided maybe they didn't know the bridge was gone or did they know something I didn't know? Well today I heard on the radio that the road is officially OPEN.

Well since I currently have no Subarus I can drive, it ain't gonna be this weekend.

So how about Sunday November 11th?

8am?

Meet at (or near) the Arlington Denny's Restaurant located just off the I-5 exit to State Route 530.

How about inviting the Outback message board folks and others?

Map to Arlington Denny's (if the link works)

Google Maps

• 2 weeks later...