Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towing an RX?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Is there anything to fear in towing my '88 RX to a new 'resting spot' so I can work on her using the "buddy with a truck and a tow strap" method? She'll be moving no more than 4 miles; the center diff will be unlocked (solenoid is blown, can't lock it up anyhoo), and the high/low lever will be in neutral. I'm just worried because I seem to remember someone saying it would burn up the front and rear diffs if it gets towed, but I don't feel like paying a tow company with a flat hauler $100 to do so.

#2 joostvdw

joostvdw

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Holland

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:06 AM

if the car doesn't have LSD's it should be perfectly fine just towing it in neutral gear (put the hi/lo selector in hi, you don't want that to slip into gear when driving)

towing it in neutral is the same load as coasting down a hill with the engine turned off, which is no problem at all.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,250 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:49 PM

Is there anything to fear in towing my '88 RX to a new 'resting spot' so I can work on her using the "buddy with a truck and a tow strap" method? She'll be moving no more than 4 miles; the center diff will be unlocked (solenoid is blown, can't lock it up anyhoo), and the high/low lever will be in neutral. I'm just worried because I seem to remember someone saying it would burn up the front and rear diffs if it gets towed, but I don't feel like paying a tow company with a flat hauler $100 to do so.

There is no "neutral" in the Dual range. Subaru Literature, (and even the sticker under the shifter) say "do not to leave selector between Hi and LO" There is a spot in the levers action where it isn't quite in either range but that is not neutral. Besides, doing so would not have any affect at all in a towing situation because those gears are forward of the gearbox, on the input shaft. Which will be doing absolutely nothing while towing. Just put the gearshifter in Neutral. As long as the center diff is unlocked you should be fine, for a short distance. For a longer tow I would pull the rear section of the center driveline

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

DO NOT LEAVE THE 4WD LEVER IN FALS NEUTRAL/ JUST LEAVE IT IN HIGH. LEAVE THE GEAR LEVER IN NEUTRAL.

sorry dam caps lock...

anyway towing with a rop,strap,chain is no different than the car driving naturally as far as what the driveline can tell

what you are NOT supposed to do is tow an awd on a tow dolly where the rear axl;es are turning on the road and the front wheels are on the dolly

basic rule for towing AWD:

all wheels on the road or all wheels off the road.

as far as the rope people will arguew if its safe or legal but if you are in the country or what not, and as long as the guy in ythe rx being towed has enough sense to keep the slack out of the chain then you will do alright

#5 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

That was the issue I remembered: the rear LSD. Which yes, the RX has. So I should be fine being towed all 4 on the floor then. Good! Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users