Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can I find this style of roof rack?

Now that I'm actually going to be the owner of a soobie again (I pick 'er up on saturday!), I'm already looking into making the necessary modifications for my lifestyle.

First thing I need is a wide and sturdy rack I can strap a couple of surfboards to. The factory rack is too narrow to get two boards side-by-side, and the soob I'm getting doesn't have the factory cross-bars anyway.

What I'm wanting is this:

DSC_0012.jpg

Thanks to subaru dude for posting that pic up, its actually almost identical to the one I'm getting, white turbo wagon.

So, what should I be looking for to get this kind of rack, and where should I be looking? I tried the for sale section, but all I found was factory racks and unrelated stuff. If I search on ebay, do I have to look for a subaru-fit rack, or are there generic racks that will fit this body style?

Now that I'm actually going to be the owner of a soobie again (I pick 'er up on saturday!), I'm already looking into making the necessary modifications for my lifestyle.

First thing I need is a wide and sturdy rack I can strap a couple of surfboards to. The factory rack is too narrow to get two boards side-by-side, and the soob I'm getting doesn't have the factory cross-bars anyway.

What I'm wanting is this:

DSC_0012.jpg

Thanks to subaru dude for posting that pic up, its actually almost identical to the one I'm getting, white turbo wagon.

So, what should I be looking for to get this kind of rack, and where should I be looking? I tried the for sale section, but all I found was factory racks and unrelated stuff. If I search on ebay, do I have to look for a subaru-fit rack, or are there generic racks that will fit this body style?

Damnit, I hate when I do a search, find nothing, then make a post and immediately find the answer I was originally looking for. Makes me look like a BBn00b. :-\

Anyway, what I really want is yakima 1A towers and crossbars. I know that now. Thanks for looking, sorry to waste everyone's time and bandwidth.

those ones on his car are better (in my opinion) to the A1's.

those are thule 430 tower which are a custom install. they are seriously kick rump roast and can be removed from the roof in about 30 seconds flat...

even better then the 430's is the yakima control towers with landing pads. comes in something called a landing pad which is a small mounting base that is bolted through the roof (looks clean, won't leak) then the control tower clips onto it. very clean install and the roofrack is removeable except the landing pad bases.

second option is the track which i believe comes on some loyale wagons. control towers use special track bases and slide into the track... easily adjustable, holds oodles of weight, looks slick as hell.

i work for a company called rackattack and we sell these all the time and do in house installs. i've put these on everything from nissan micra, brand new audi's, fiberglass canopies, to limos and motorhomes.

if you want i can post up some pics of the setup so you can have a better feel for it.

My preference goes toward the yakima 1A setup with 48" crossbars. That car had it on the roof, but I sold the setup a few months ago when I thought I was saving the car.

Look on ebay for the parts. They aren't very expensive and you can lock the entire rack so it cannot be stolen.

Score!

I found guttermount racks that already have all the surfboard hardware built in for only $81 shipped by UPS.

Don't know how many surfers there are here, but just in case:

http://www.saltwaterdreams.com

rack_snubber.jpg

My preference goes toward the yakima 1A setup with 48" crossbars. That car had it on the roof, but I sold the setup a few months ago when I thought I was saving the car.

Look on ebay for the parts. They aren't very expensive and you can lock the entire rack so it cannot be stolen.