Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Where is the thermostat on 2.2L EJ22 engines?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dwallbaum_*

Guest_dwallbaum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2003 - 01:18 PM

I give up...

If the thermostat is where is _should_ be, on the top of the block connected to the front radiator hose, then it appears that I have to remove the intake manifold to get to it.. but this can't be right... can it?

Where is the thermostat located, and how do I get to it?

Symptoms: 149K miles, the temp guage has started shooting toward the red. It comes back down after I pull over and "burp" the radiator by removing the rad. cap and letting air out.... so Im thinking that maybe there is something else amiss... like head gasket... anyway, any thoughts appreciated. And yeah, Im getting _some_ oil in the radiator, not a large amount, but some. Tho the engine has a habit now of gulping oil, meaning that I check it, its dropping at a constant rate, then suddenly, and I mean after two days, I check it again and the dip stick is dry, meaning that virtually overnight a half-quart of oil has disappeared.

<sigh>

Thoughts? What tests can I perform or have performed? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks!

Don

#2 Guest_Frag_*

Guest_Frag_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2003 - 01:52 PM

Follow the outlet hose (from rad to block) under the rad and to the right (facing the engine) and you'll find the thermostat housing. It's directly bolted to the water pump.
Yes, this placement is not quite standard...

#3 Guest_dwallbaum_*

Guest_dwallbaum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2003 - 12:45 PM

Fraq;

UNDER the engine by the waterpump... <sigh>... Ya gotta love Subies.. THANKS!!

#4 Guest_Frag_*

Guest_Frag_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:21 PM

Well, not really under the engine, more like on the lower part of the front of it.
Good luck but your problem sounds more like a gasket leak prob lem than a thermostat problem. But it's wise to begin with the less costly hypotheses.

#5 Guest_dwallbaum_*

Guest_dwallbaum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 05:44 AM

Fraq;

Yeah, got the idea, thanks... but this means the entire rad is drained when the t-stat is replaced??

Anyway, I think its a moot point.. IM getting gas in the cooling system that I have to burp out, and this means exhaust gas in the cooling system and THIS means head gasket...

<sigh>

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users