Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Forrester will 96 EJ22 motor work?

tbreaden

the 96 will have single exhaust ports, the forester will have dual. you'll want an EJ22 exhaust manifold (that will bolt right up).

99 incurred some changes and i forget which/if any are relevant to your situation. i think you'll have bell housing bolt issues though....one will have 4 and the other will have 8. still doable but you'll have to decide whether to just have one starter bolt instead of two or decide if you want to drill/tap the second.

..one will have 4 and the other will have 8. still doable but you'll have to decide whether to just have one starter bolt instead of two or decide if you want to drill/tap the second.

The four extra holes have nothing to do with the starter. The second starter bolt is on the bell for the Tranmission.

I believe you would need to swap the harness and sensors from the Forrester motor(ej25) onto the EJ22 manifold. You may also need to swap the drivers side camshaft pulley as well. I believe the tabs on the pulley that trigger the Cam sensor are different between the 2 engines.

96 EJ22 should still have dual exhaust ports. 97+ = single port

tell my 96 that, it has single port:rolleyes:

here is the problem with your swap that you want to do, in 99 with the imprezas and foresters they went to the phase 2 ej25 which makes your swap not a plug and play kind of set up. It was 2000 they swapped to the phase 2 in the legacys.

i did kind of the reverse swap into my 90 legacy, but the main problem i ran into was the IAC from the phase 2 ej25 was mounted on the throttle body and all 2.2 and phase 1 ej25 are mounted on the intake manifold. in my case i did away with the IAC because it is in my race car and cold starts are the last of my worries. I deal with it in other ways.

its doable but not as easy as replacing the phase 1 ej25 with a ej22.

so what you will want is a phase II EJ22 then.

unfortunately it's still not that easy, as far as i know the phase 2 ej22s were more about internal changes rather then external. just tweaks here and there to get some more power out of it.

unlike the ej25 where they changed intakes, heads most everything.

the easiest swap would be a phase 2 ej25

the main thing i can think of to deal with would be the throttle body. you would have to swap your forester throttle body onto the 2.2 intake. but they are different sizes.

here is a picture of the two side by side.

P10100592.jpg

i'm not even sure if putting the 2.5 TB on the 2.2 intake would even work. the IAC on the top of the 2.5 TB has a matching port on the 2.5 intake where the 2.2 intake just doesn't have that.

so you are thinking now why not just swap the 2.5 intake on to the 2.2 heads. well to put it simply it wont fit. they are just two different beasts. the 2.5s intakes are way bigger then the 2.2.

hope that clears up any more questions. but probably not the answers your were looking for.

as far as i know the phase 2 ej22s were more about internal changes rather then external.
i haven't seen enough 1999/2000+ EJ's to know. but...at some point they did change the EJ22 so that the EJ25 and EJ22 intake manifolds are interchangeable. i guess the EJ22 heads were redone and mimick the EJ25's. i was assuming this happened with the Phase II make-over, but apparently not. for instance - i think a 2002 EJ25 and EJ22 long block is completely interchangeable, the intakes will bolt to either one, where as before that was never the case. but i'm not sure when/why/year/phase/etc.

i wonder what 2000, 2002 EJ22's look like. of course then you're probably going to have a hard time getting a good deal on one. is a 2002 EJ22 still considered a Phase II?

i haven't seen enough 1999/2000+ EJ's to know. but...at some point they did change the EJ22 so that the EJ25 and EJ22 intake manifolds are interchangeable. i guess the EJ22 heads were redone and mimick the EJ25's. i was assuming this happened with the Phase II make-over, but apparently not. for instance - i think a 2002 EJ25 and EJ22 long block is completely interchangeable, the intakes will bolt to either one, where as before that was never the case. but i'm not sure when/why/year/phase/etc.

i wonder what 2000, 2002 EJ22's look like. of course then you're probably going to have a hard time getting a good deal on one. is a 2002 EJ22 still considered a Phase II?

well if thats the case then his swap would be a cake walk. just keep your intake from the forester swap on to a newer 2.2 and no need to worry about plug and play if it's still your old intake.

you would still need source a single port exhaust, that would be easy, any 96+ ej22 had those.

the true phase 2 ej22 started in 1999. it had other changes in the previous years like

OBD2 - 1995 (impreza and legacy)

roller rockers - 1995

single port exhaust - 1996

interference motor - 1997

solid lifters - 1997

but didn't call it phase 2 till 1999

also there are no 02 ej22s. the ej22 died in the legacy with the body change in 2000 and in the impreza 2002. so the last year for the wonderful ej22 was 2001 in the impreza.

you got me curious now the next time i see a newer impreza i will take a look at it and see what the intake looks like.

tell my 96 that, it has single port:rolleyes:

My mother has a 96 Outback MT. It has dual port 2.2 in it.

i did kind of the reverse swap into my 90 legacy, but the main problem i ran into was the IAC from the phase 2 ej25 was mounted on the throttle body and all 2.2 and phase 1 ej25 are mounted on the intake manifold.

You can leave the IAC where it is for the swap. Whichever intake and TB you are using, just run the wiring to it.

To the OP, you may want to ask around NASIOC. I am dead sure that this swap can be done either way 96 into 99, or 99 into 96. Or 99 into 90, or 90 into 99. It is all doable. Just swap the harness and sensors from you're original setup onto the new motor. Cut and splice IAC connector to match the manifold you are using.

My mother has a 96 Outback MT. It has dual port 2.2 in it.

funny my 96 outback mt has single port, crazy world, what month was hers built in?

You can leave the IAC where it is for the swap. Whichever intake and TB you are using, just run the wiring to it.

the only problem with trying using the different IAC are the amount of wires. the phase 1 ej25 and ej22s had a three wire plug the phase 2 ej25 had like 6 if i remember correctly.

now if it's true that he can put the phase 2 ej25 intake on the phase 2 ej22 then swap the whole intake and a few sensors from the block, cam sensor, crank sensor stuff like that. and get a single port exhaust and be done with it.

I do know that the phase 2 ej25 intakes will not fit the phase 1 ej22s

To the OP, you may want to ask around NASIOC. I am dead sure that this swap can be done either way 96 into 99, or 99 into 96. Or 99 into 90, or 90 into 99. It is all doable. Just swap the harness and sensors from you're original setup onto the new motor. Cut and splice IAC connector to match the manifold you are using.

the one thing i think you are forgetting is we are talking about a forester not an outback. yes a 99 outback you could swap back to the older motors because it still had the phase 1 ej25.

in the forester and imprezas they started putting the phase 2 ej25 in them. and no it's not a plug and play kind of thing. you could read my write up about putting a phase 2 ej25 in my 90 legacy and i couldn't reuse any of the factory ej25 harness i had to make my 90 legacy harness fit on the ej25.

also my donor motor was from a 99 forester.