Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I get a third party mechanic to replace head gaskets under Subaru's warranty?

The subject line says it all. I'm trying to avoid having my subaru serviced by the local dealership due to bad previous experiences with them.

1999 Legacy 56k mi., w/ leaky headgaskets.

My mechanic I usually go to says he needs someone to contact about the warranty, usually an 800 number or bundle of paperwork or something.

Also... is it wise to have someone other than subaru do the headgaskets as long as I get them the correct revision subaru gasket?

I'm also have the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat (and seals) done and the local mechanic's labor cost will end up being about $350 cheaper than the dealer's cost.

Ordinarily, only a dealer can file a claim under warranty, but maybe there is some sort of "emergency" provision that allows you to use a 3d party and then submit their bill. Extended warranties from Subaru include this, but not sure about the regular powertrain warranty.

And it's about time SOA came up with some sort of goodwill warranty for the headgasket problem, even Ford did that with their 3.8.

I can't be done. Think of it this way. Subaru pays this 3rd party guy to do this job under warranty. You get a 12,000 mile one year Subaruwarranty on this new job from the 3rd party guy because he used Subaru parts. The headgasket goes bad again and Subaru pays this guy to do the job again (or does he really do it again?) see how this is could turn into a scam, thats why Subaru doesn't do it.

I'll just take it to the dealer. ... with the following precautions:

A) My tires are marked so I'll know when they put them on wrong. Last time they couldn't quite figure out which direction the directional tread went and put two on backwards.

B) all my parts have my initials etched in them so I will know they used the parts I supplied, since I have had problems with this in the past.

C) I'm supplying all my own parts and fluids, and will ask to have all old parts and empty fluid containers back. I always use Mobil 1 and always give them 6 quarts in case they spill some. Last time the car came back with dinosaur oil in it and no mobil 1 anywhere to be found. They claimed I never brought it in.

Am I being an *******? I just want things done properly... I hope it isn't too much to ask.

I don't think you are being an @#$%. You can't guarantee that the Mobil 1 is actually ending up in the engine, they could pour it into another container and give you back the empties.

My gut feeling is that if you have to take those kind of precautions with a dealer, find another dealer. If you have no choice but to use this dealer then the things you mention seem like a good start.

Back when I had to rely on people to do work on my cars I wanted to rig up some sort of recording system to record video and audio. Expensive and impracticle, but wouldn't it be cool to catch them doing something and say "Well lets go to the instant replay".