Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Coolant leak Aaack!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_remarcable_*

Guest_remarcable_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:28 AM

I broke down and took it to a mechanic to get a few things done, and they found a coolant leak when doing a radiator flush. It's way back behind the timing cover so they couldn't see exactly where it was without removing everything in the way.

I told them to leave it alone for now (I'm broke) but to make a note of it and continue with the rest of the work (plugs, atf flush, coolant flush, brake lines, brake flush, power steering flush, etc etc). I started doing the work myself yesterday, but between the fire ants, mosquitos, and the insane heat I decided to let someone else sweat it out.

How worried should I be? Headgasket failure?

#2 Guest_remarcable_*

Guest_remarcable_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:20 PM

I got the car back and WOW am I ever pleased as to what $500 worth of service can do to a vehicle. I'll be paying Mr Mastercard for awhile, but I think it was worth it.

-Coolant flush
-Power Steering flush
-ATF flush
-SS brake lines and bleed with ATE Super blue
-plugs
-oil (this is only the 2nd time someone other than me has changed the oil)
-cleaned gunk from battery terminals (I didn't want to touch that stuff, I get chemical burns way too easily).

The car actually starts on the first try now, shifts are really crisp and solid, and steering is back to being silky smooth (well.. with the exception of my worn swaybar bushings). The car just purrs.

Torque bind is also gone... for the moment. It seems to come and go every few weeks on its own though, so I doubt this had anything to do with it.

I looked at the coolant leak and it is just a few drops every now and then from behind the timing belt cover... I think it is the seal going into the thermostat but it's impossible to tell exactly where it is without removing a bunch of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users