Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 outback amp installation

Just a quick question about installing an amp in a '96 Outback.

First of all, does anyone have any suggestions on where to mount the amp? I just bought my OB, and I'm working on installing everything I ripped out of my old car before selling it. I had the amp hidden in the back of the passenger seat, but I would occasionally run into over heating problems since there isn't any air flowing through the seat.

Second, is there an accesible hole through the firewall where I can run the power wire from the battery? Most of the cars I've worked on have had a gromet somewhere that could used for the power wire, but I didn't see anything after a quick glance in my engine bay. I'd really hate to drill a hole through the firewall if I didn't need to, as it's a tight workspace, and drilling through a firewall is never fun. :-)

Thanks in advance!

-Collin

Mine did fine for a while under the seat, lifted above the heat ducts to allow heat/A/C circulation. Next best would be in the storage compartment right rear, OR-- your trunk floor has 1.25" or so of foam beneath it. Cut the foam....

In my '97 I had a lockable steel box that was bolted to the trunk floor-- an old ammo case I'd fitted with a lock, cooling fan and vent. It didnt' look like there was a stereo in it, and therefore the 2 amps, changer and EQ always stayed there... I even mounted the box a bit crooked for that "just thrown in there" effect.

Mike

Finally got around to catching up..

Mine is the newer gen, but maybe there are some similiarities.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7141

Run the power wire through the firewall in the passenger side footwell. 8 gauge wire will easily fit through the A/C evaporator condensation drain hole in the footwell along with the drain hose. It is easy to route the power cable from the firewall hole to the kick panel and under the carpet. 4 gauge wire is too big for this particular hole, it will crimp and block the drain hose, and your passenger will get wet feet. Be careful with power wire routing on the engine side of the firewall, the A/C drain is close to the exhaust. Make sure the wire is firmly tied down out of the way.

I have an amp as well, but It's not a very large amp so it fit right onto the removeable panel that covers up the jack. I simply screwed it onto the panel and ran the wires down to the cargo carpeting for a clean look. Never had a problem as it stayed there for the past 4 years I've owned the car. Whenever I needed to access the jack, I simply undid the latch at the top, flipped the panel down, and removed the jack. All the power, speaker and remote wires were at the bottom, with only the RCA input wires at the top, using 90 degree connectors for a clean look. I have a picture somewhere and I'll dig it up.