Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best recommended Subaru garages in Silicon Valley for inspection/repairs?

I’m hot on the trail to purchase a used Subaru Outback in very good condition, which has had a solid maintenance record. I’ve been gathering information on Edmunds and CarTalk forums and then was referred to this excellent community by a poster on CarTalk. I’ve got a little extra work to do as I’m searching for a car in Silicon Valley a few weeks before relocating for the summer from New York – I’d like to have any necessary maintenance done before arriving in a few weeks. This means I have to evaluate the car by having it inspected by 1-2 reliable garages, and maybe even hiring a local Subaru enthusiast with good experience to take a quick look after inspection.

Can anyone recommend very good independent garages in Silicon Valley for the inspection and necessary repairs/maintenance? I've heard Capitol Subaru in San Jose is the best authorized dealership/garage in the area, but have been researching the best independent garages that service Subarus in San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Los Altos and Redwood City (and anywhere nearby). I know a good independent can sometimes be far less expensive, partly by using less expensive parts that are just as good.

• 1 year later...

Hitting an old thread here, but I too am looking for a good mechanic/shop that works on Subarus. I have spoke with someone at Don & John's in Sunnyvale/San Jose on E El Camino Real, and they seem to know Subarus pretty well. The guy I talked to at Japanese Beetle recommended D & Js. We had a recent cooling system episode with a 98 Forester and may be looking at some head gasket damage. I will update this thread or maybe create a new one with how things go with this shop.

Any major work you are considering I would also diagnose and estimate with the dealership - Capitol Subaru in San Jose or Steven's Creek. I haven't been to Steven's Creek, though had 90K service done at Capitol Subaru under a good deal and I think Capitol Subaru gets better reviews than Stephen's Creek. Reason I haven't been to independent yet is that I successfully got Subaru to cover the bit of work we had to do (seat heaters needed replacing and sensor for VDC anti-slip system needed to be realigned) under the Gold Plus coverage that came with the 2003 VDC H6 3.0L model we bought last year. Car is running great, love it.

Now that our Gold Plus coverage is expired, would like to know about any good independent Subaru garages you find.

I have also heard mostly good things about Mechanica Automotive in Mountain View and they have good reviews.