Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone replaced the valve oil seals in their garage? without the 1) 499718000 VALVE SPRING REMOVER and 2) 498267600 CYLINDER HEAD TABLE. I have the seals in the kit I purchased but since the valve is sunk in the Sears clamp type tool can't get in there. Worst case I have the engine shop do it but I was looking to save 60 per head.

If you have the kind of compressor that looks like a big c clamp and goes all the way around the head, you can jsut make and adapter out of a piec of pipe with a notch in the side to get the keepers out.

The springs really aren't that strong, you can get them push them in with your hand.

I must have been half asleep when I typed that reply, I don't think I spelled one word right. :lol:

Anyway, another tip is to take a socket and hammer and give it a quick tap on the retainer before you use the compresor. This will break the keepers loose and make it easier to remove them with the compressor.

I don't know if pvc pipe will hold up, might want to make it out of iron pipe or an old socket.