Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prospective New Owner with a Question

Looking at possibly purchasing a new or slightly used Subaru for their bad weather handling and good drive. There seems to be a considerable power and feel difference between the 2.5 and 2.5 with turbo. All my life I have heard horror stories about turbo's. I usually keep vehicles long past their warranty period. Should I be concerned about a turbo and if so how much?

Thanks!

I would agree that when treated properly, Subaru turbos are pretty reliable. However, for the MAXIMUM reliability and lowest operating expense, avoid the turbo. Turbos require premuim gasoline. Most turbos do not permit towing of any kind. The added HP boost of the turbo places additional strain on the drivetrain. They are an absolute blast to drive, so take your choice.

i know its not a new gen car, but my 86' subaru turbo wagon had 290k before i scrapped it from the rust.. it was all original.. turbo was original as well..

just keep up on the regular maintenance and treat it nice and turbos are just as good as any other non turbo car imo..